Poll: nil or null?

• nil
  • null

You decide.

Huh, I guess I lose.

If you turn null upside down, you can still use the letters to spell null. Thats why I pick null.

1 Like

I like nil because it’s shorter, and null reminds me of dull. Plus the extra L is kind of useless; just a linguistic remnant of something. Might as well call it nill. The null byte is named NUL various text encodings, although that ALL CAPS bothers me too. I certainly don’t like NULL in C.

Is there a language that uses naught? That would be my favorite language.

nil reminds me of that awkward backward language - objective c. Anyone using nil sound to me like a guy who drags up his latest iPhone to show his latest app. I can accept that, but I don’t like it.

Null also is more closely to noll in swedish, which mean zero, so…

Ruby, Swift, and Go use nil too. And nil means zero in English… I mostly think of a British sportscaster when I think of saying nil aloud.

Is there a language that uses naught? That would be my favorite language.

@senocular Not that I can think of. If there was, it’d probably be Prolog.

Objective c also has NULL. And Nil (not to be confused with nil). And of course my favorite, [NSNull null].

True, british sportscasters do say nil. They also use love in tennis with the same implication. Love is not a bad word.

@senocular, hehe, there probably is one more null/nil in there somewhere. I found this german guy on google with the name “Xcode von NULL auf Hundert” - making Xcode tutorials. NULL of a hundred, would that mean anything in Objective c?

If you turn nil upside down, you can use the letters to spell lu! I have yet to determine the significance of this.

Holy cow, it’s Mandarin for zero!

(actually it’s not…)

it is probably french, lu… read… (Lou Reed)

But I’ve heard it in the meaning of toilet, the lu, luoe, loe… can’t find it. ahh it must be loo.

The traceback of english language is embarrassingly simple.

Sitting on the loo = I’m reading…