Possible to animate engineering mechanisms?

g’day everyone,\r\rI’m new and impressed by the knowledge on this site!\r\rDoes anyone know how to control the position of the two endpoints of a straight-line over time? I’d like to import the (x,y) coordinates of these endpoints from a *.txt file.\r\rOr alternatively, has anyone animated or know-how-to animate a four bar linkage mechanism? I’m trying to get something like this in flash: www.brockeng.com/mechanis…Rocker.htm\r\rAny advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Yep. With scaling. That can be fun to try.\rAnd don’t worry, if I can’t get it to work, I’m sure Sinfiniti will. The Force is very strong with him…\r\rpom 0]

OK… I’ve done something… It wasn’t easy, but it’s there. It’s funny because a normal motion doesn’t seem to be possible. You can drag both the starting and the ending point, but I never got a normal motion (without a detachment). I guess you have to play with the lenghts…\r\rpom 0]

That looks great! Thanks Ilyaslamasse.\rYou’re right, some configurations cannot achieve circular motion of both crank and follower (e.g. www.brockeng.com/mechanis…Rocker.htm … the follower is actually a rocker). It all depends on the geometry.\rCould you possibly post or send me the source for that?\rThanks!\rstella

I’m glad you like it ! Thanks. And actually, there are some configurations that DO work…\r\rGive me a minute to comment on the code. It’s <a href=http://www.multimania.com/ilyaslamasse/engrenage2.fla>here</a> if you don’t care for explanations.\r\rpom 0]

Thank you! Comments would be great, only if you can get around to it.\rMuch appreciated,\rstella

I updated the link. I put a little note in the FLA, I’d really appreciate it if you took it into consideration. \r\rAnd if there’s something you don’t understand, POST !!\r\rpom 0]

I certainly will!\rthank you :slight_smile: \rstella