Quick illustrator question

this seems like it should be so easy yet I can’t figure out how to add a non-destructive gradient to type/text in illustrator…I mean I know it can be done…you can do it in ps w/ the gradient overlay function.

I searched the forums and couldn’t come up with anything, so any help would be appreciated :mario: