Same Sex Marriage

way to pick a side…

Rev

I didn’t know I had to pick a side…is this a school yard game of dodgeball?

usually in a debate, you pick a side, and argue that side…

hence the ordered forum…

Rev

but giving a solution I think would fit both sides has no place in a debate?

again, you are putting words in my mouth.

I was making a comment about the fact that you have switched sides a couple times already…

no harm.

Rev

I said that pages ago. I said that I have really been thinking about things, and gay people should be able to marry but I should have the right to not recognise it. That was not an easy conclusion for me to come to. That **** faith thing really got in the way. I think I should get some credit for the gay marriage supporters that I have even come this far.

lesser of an evil?

:beam:

Rev

*Originally posted by reverendflash *
**lesser of an evil?

:beam:

Rev **
I guess but I assure you that you will never get me to accept gay marriage like I do heterosexual marriage regardless of law. Just as I do not accept abortion. I belive it to be murder even if the courts do not. With that said, I would never hurt anyone involved in abortion, I will mearly pray for them and hope God will forgive them after death.

*Originally posted by blindlizard *
** I will mearly pray for them and hope God will forgive them after death. **

By this, you are saying that you know more than they do, or are a better person than they?

What if they don’t wish to be prayed for…

This is my problem with Christianity. It seems to me that you feel you are in on a special secret, which you will gladly share, and that makes you ‘special.’

Rev

Is it hurting them if I pray for them? If everything I believe in is just some fairy tail in a really big book then it shouldn’t matter to you.

so their wishes don’t make any difference to you?

Rev

Sure, if they don’t want to believe that is fine by me, however I will not stop believeing what I do just to satisfy them. My beliefs tell me to pray for non-believers and nothing you say or do will stop me from that. Where is the imorality in that, if you don’t believe it shouldn’t matter.

but what if their beliefs make it wrong for you to pray for them? what if, in their beliefs, if you pray for them, their God will be angry?

The Jehovah’s Witnesses (I think it’s them) do not celebrate birthdays. So, at work when a birthday party is thrown for them, even though they don’t attend, it is basically a sin for the birthday person…

Rev

It is not a sin for THEM if you throw them a birthday party.

How do you get this info? Have you studied with them?

From what I understand, in their view, by throwing a party in their honor, it is a sin on that person. They believe it is their obligation to thwart all attempts at a celebration in their honor.

Rev

Been goggleing this and found nothing saying it is a sin on the person to have someone else celebrate their birthdays.

so since you can’t find it, it must not be true…

I have studied with many religions… I have a fairly good understanding of how the congregations feel about sin, and what they feel is a sin…

Rev

ok, rev’s word is scripture…point taken. Could you possibly point me in the direction of where they have writen this down?

I did not say it was fact. I said that I have studied with these people, and this is what I have found.

again, you vary from the topic… picking on a portion of my post.

let’s say for now, that instead of Jehovah’s Witnesses, the Church of Todd and Elma believe that if you pray for them, it will cause them to spend time in purgatory. Do you still pray for them?

Rev

Yup