Searching Within A HTML based site

We have a ASP server with a HTML based website. Can you setup a search engine that browses your site?

Thanks

Jubious

Also, when someone answers this gents Q, how about someone who doesn’t have ASP, but PHP, like me. How can that be done? Any tutes anywhere that anyone knows of, and where, O where has our faithful host Kirupa been lately?

pj
:stuck_out_tongue:

Hey jubious & Phil! :slight_smile:
I’ve been quite busy working on the final exams which are over today!! So I have more time to spend flashin’ (once my ACT is over next Saturday, I’ll be completely free to Flash!).

About the search question, have you considered the free atomz.com search engine: www.atomz.com (that’s the one this site uses!)

How hard is it to set up? Can an imbisilic moron do it? I am, of course, not reffering to myself, but a friend…Ya, a friend!

Edit; Kirupa, The cost for Atomz search is 15k! a year. Wow. What will happen when my site exceeds 500 pages? Will it possibly still werk? Or do you know any tutes for setting up my own search engine as 15K is preeeety steep-

thats the ticket-
pj
:slight_smile:
how much is the FREE Atomz search engine anyways?

It actually is free: www.atomz.com/search/trial_account.htm You don’t really do anything to get it to work. You register and point it to search your site. Atomz even provides you with the HTML code required to make the search work in your site. You may need want to edit the HTML and add some cool stuff on your Atomz’s info page and add your corpust logo, tables, etc. to make it look like the visitor never really left your site.

Kirupa-
It says this is only god for sites with 500 pages or less. I will exceed 500 pages by the middle of next week. Is there any way to exceed the 500 or do I have to fork over dollars if I want that?

pj
:slight_smile:
content boy

oh, I didn’t notice that; yeah, you will prolly have to pay a fee to go over 500 pages. Your site is quite large, and you probably will exceed that pretty quickly haha. I’m not sure how much it will cost you though :frowning: If you a FrontPage server, you can easily create a FrontPage search form; it’s quite rudimentary, but it works.

Cheers!
Kirupa

If you go over 500 pages, and want the engine it is 15,ooo a year. Steeeep. I guess I will have to learn how to set up my entropy search that came with the site. Do you know how to do this? As the documentation that came with my package has this as one of those ‘coming soon’ areas.

Also, I have been scouring the EZ boards on how to get the free ez boards, so I can set them up and get used to them before I subscribe. But I can’t find anywhere on EZ where they offer free EZ boards…Any clues, hints, web address’s? :wink:

The entropy search I have set up isn’t werking properly. If you wanna see what happens, go to www.corpust.com and right under the Javachat at the top is a hidden link, like right under it, and it will take you to me entropy search learning and figuring page. Type in ‘Bush’ and see what happens. Many of those docs coming up in the search are other, old, index files renamed with a z or za in front of them that still reside on my server–I posted another message about this and got no reply. Seems most people don’t know what a entropy search is. And that includes me. Would be nice if I had documentation to go along with it. Can you help? BTW, this is so cool to have you back at the board Kirupa. Kind of nice…and all that that implies!

pj

15,000? That is very steep. I don’t have much experience with anything server related. Here’s something else…I use xo communications (your favorite hosting company) for my hosting haha. I have never used configured anything server related, and I’m not sure I’d be of much use there.

I thought Ezboard offered a free banner-laden version? Oh well, I’ve been so disconnected tech-related this past year that I have no idea! I too am finally glad that I have plenty of time to spare for the site. So many things to do…so much spare time!! Well, Jeopardy comes on in 10 mins wohoo!!!

Cheers,
Kirupa

Kirupa-
Just outta curiousity again, why do you pay 49.95 a month for XO? I used to have them, got em when they were 9 net avenue. Their service was shoddy, their deal was overpriced and under featured. And they tried to pull quite a few spools of wool over my eyes after it became XO----wassup? I am curious as to why? There must be a good reason–I must know!

pj

Wow, that’s amazing! I got them with 9netave as well. I guess I got really fortunate in that they don’t charge me as much as other companies do. I never really used their extra goodies. As long as I can view my site from halfway across the world, I’m happy. I use ezboard and atomz for my searching…which saved me the hassle of dealing with the issues you may have had :slight_smile:

Wasn’t it 9Netave > Concentric > Ameritech (I think) - broken into XO?

Cheers!
Kirupa

I don’t ever remember them being Ameritech. But it was 9 net when I started, then Concentric took over, then methinks it was XO.

pj

ok, scratch ameritech out of the list then :slight_smile: