Simple Depth Question

Hi, I’m currently making a simple side scrolling hack & slash game in which the player and enemies can move up and down the stage while creating a sense of “3D” perspective, ala Final Fight, Golden Axe, etc, etc.
To explain the problem in it’s most simplest way, here’s an example:

On the stage there are three layers, each with one movieClip, example:

Layer 3 = Contains an MC with the instance name: “npc3”
Layer 2 = Contains an MC with the instance name: “npc2”
Layer 1 = Contains an MC with the instance name: “npc1”

Each have their own :“onClipEvent(enterFrame)” which includes this:
“this.swapDepths(this._y);”

This code causes objects which are higher on the stage to be placed behind those underneath them.
So far so good.

Here’s the problem:
Once I load the flash game, their depths are strangely arranged, meaning MC’s which are supposed to be ontop of another, are located behind them, - a total mess.

Everything works fine the moment after their position changes either through AI control or player control, which is nothing more than adding or subtracting to their own “._y” or “._x” speeds.

Question:
Is there a way for “this.swapDepths(this._y);” to be instantly called the moment the movie clips are loaded onto the stage - so that all MCs are properly behind/in front one another to create a sense of depth - depending on their current _y position?
I have “this.swapDepths(this._y);” under “onClipEvent(enterFrame)” as well as “onClipEvent(load)” and it only seems to work the moment an object moves - and NOT the instant they are loaded onto the stage.

Any help would be immensely grateful. Thanks in advance!