Simple loadMovie with URL as variable

I’m having a handful of trouble with this.

a) thumbURL is a variable loaded from an XML file. The value is being passed correctly into Flash, as I have traced it and it outputs fine. thumbLoc is a number which increases through a for loop. So thumb0, thumb1, thumb2 etc. are the movie clips I want to load thumbURL into. The thumbURL I’m trying to load is in the format http://www.tcreative.ca/images/stories/ylistenSmall.jpg.

I have the following code:

thumb[thumbLoc].loadMovie(thumbURL);

Why isn’t this working?

b) When I test the movie, Flash should still load an external URL (such as http://www.tcreative.ca/images/stories/ylistenSmall.jpg), right?

Any help is much appreciated. Dunno if I’m getting the syntax wrong or what. All my google searches are on not so relevant loadmovie topics. Thanks!

target the movie clip like this

_root[“thumb”+thumbLoc].loadMovie(thumbURL);

you need to start with the parent of the thumbN movie clips so if the thumb movie clips are inside a container moviclip and you were putting the code in a fram in the the container, then use

this[“thumb”+thumbLoc].loadMovie(thumbURL);