Syntechdesign.com (my portfolio site)

[size=1][color=slategray]Allow me to introduce myself. . .[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]My name is Dan Johnston I am a illustrator/designer from canada.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]After close to a year in the making my portfolio site is complete.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]I am more of an illustrator / designer and really have just gotten [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]my feet wet in web design. Please take a look.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]Feedback welcome!![/color][/size]

[size=1]view[/size]

[size=1] [color=slategray]Site credits[/color] [/size]

[size=1][color=slategray]Dan Johnston[/color] (moi)[/size]
[size=1][color=silver]Design / flash / html[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=slategray]Mike Johnston[/color] (bro)[/size]
[size=1][color=silver]php / mysql / html[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=slategray]Josh Davenport[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=silver](flash nav)[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=slategray]Esteban Rodriguez[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=silver](flashed my logo)[/color][/size]

[size=1]Thanks for your time[/size]

[size=1][color=slategray]Dan Johnston[/color][/size]

Thanks for the feedback people :sigh:
lol, nice warm welcome.

Hi Dan,
Jeez- you just put up the first post only a few hours ago… give people a chance.

The design of the site is a little hostile to the first-time viewer. Its hard to tell what I’m supposed to be looking for, where I can find it, and what I’m supposed to do with it. I think you’re putting too much information out there too fast. Oh, and your code doesn’t validate:
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//syntechdesign.com/index.php

BUT, that being said, I think its a very good looking site! The little interactions you have going on are fun and interesting and the guy in the corner is a little creepy, but in a good way.

-m

hmmm…I’d say for just getting your feet wet, you have a very good knowledge of flash already. Your illustration work is very solid. I like the overall design of the site.(colors, layout, etc). Im with phayle on the fact that a lot of info is being presented at once, but thats my only hang-up. Others might say otherwise. Was all of the site development done by you?

Yes,
the entire design and concept of the site was done by me and i was given a hand by my brother with the php and html. Although i had never used dreamweaver before this i picked it up pretty quick and about 3 pages into
development I started doing the html myself.

I was always under the impression that you needed to be an expert coder to
design a site. I had no idea how visual Dreamweaver was. Now, I am hooked…

If i knew I could just draw out my site and chop it up that easy I would have started in this long ago lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

Uh-huh…yeah…great site. Holy good gawd your artwork is cool. The Destruction Process logo is insane. :thumb:

thanks man, seems other people think so as well
(it has been ripped countless times):upset:

WTF he tossed out the gay validate card… who really cares about that?

Anyway, really good stuff, I actually saw this design on DA when you posted it a while ago… your artwork is off the hook. As for you site… I really like it a lot personally. I don’t think it’s cluttered at all. I think your presentation is strong, how you incoporated your artwork into your layout is superb.

The only negatives I see are:

1. The navigation has all that blank area, seems kinda pointless to have that much there when nothing really happens when you rollover the nav type. I also think that you could have a much stronger rollover animation on the nav as well.

2. I personally don’t care for that nav font either. To me it doesn’t really compliment your stuff that well. Just to boxy and not edgy enough.

3. In your portfolio section when you change logos and all that jazz I see a black box flash then the transition… I think you should get rid of that box of course.

4. Your scroll bar the hit area is only on the arrow, maybe should make it on the whole box+arrow.

5. All the body copy that uses that same boxy pixel font is hard on the eyes just cause of the nature of the font.

6. I think the arrow to browse your portfolio could be dressed up a little more, just make it look like the arrow in your scrollbar and it would look much better.

Not much else that I can really see ATM. All those are minor things I saw, but I think you’ve got a really good site here :slight_smile:

This is what i have been looking for lol. (feedback)

Thanks man, all very good points you have made.
I think im even going to do a few of the thing you suggested.