The photo gallery by sbeener - it doesnt work in the browser

Hi,

firstly I have to thank sbeener for a great photo gallery tutorial. It’s really great that you can specify images and then load them into the movie, and has completely solved a dilemma I was having about how to publish my webcomic. I was using html only, but it was getting very bulky, and I thought flash might provide a better way - little did i realise sbeemer had pre-empted me.

then i thought “but that’ll never work loading in other .swf files (instead of .jpgs)” but i tried an experimental one and it did work! Miracle of miracles I (or sbeemer, really) had found a convenient way to display my webcomic .swf files without an html file for every one.

But…it doesnt work when I preview it in my browser! My photo gallery .swf shows up, but somehow its not finding the images, so i just get the blank background of my photo gallery swf.

I can run the gallery .swf file in its present location and everything works perfectly, but when I put the very same gallery .swf file into a webpage (via dreamweaver) no images show up. In the actionscript line 10 that sets the path to pics reads:

this.pathToPics = “”;

because my image .swfs are in the same folder (on my hard drive) as the photo gallery swfs.

I also tried it with .png files, same result - the gallery swf shows up, but no images - it acts like it can’t find them (I know this because when i mistyped the file name for my image #3 it came up blank in the same way).

However if i run the swf in firefox (i.e. right click then open with> firefox) it again works perfectly. This suggests the problem may lay with the html, maybe?

here is the code for the swf file, just in case this is relevant:

<object classid=“clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000” codebase=“http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0” width=“1000” height=“1000”>
<param name=“movie” value=“images/p experimental photo gallery.swf” />
<param name=“quality” value=“high” />
<embed src=“images/p experimental photo gallery.swf” width=“1000” height=“1000” quality=“high” pluginspage=“http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer” type=“application/x-shockwave-flash”></embed>
</object>

I dont think that code can be the problem, its the same for all embedded flash objects surely? But i put it just in case. It still doesnt explain why the same swf can display the images in the flash player or the browser directly, but not in a html webpage.

I am completely lost as to why this might be ;( Does any one have any suggestions at all?

thanks for anything anyone can offer. I’m new to webdesign and actionscript (tho’ a little more experienced with flash animation) so if I am missing something really obvious i apologise.

tensimon