Time travel thought

Its like, how can it be colder? Why not warmer? But seriously colder?

1 Like

I know I can’t say this because I live in CA, but, that’s how I feel now!

Weirdly I didn’t think about this stuff when I lived in much colder climates.

If you travel through time, could it be that you land in a parallel universe where your actions won’t have any bearing on the universe you left behind? :space_invader:

That sounds a lot like the passage of regular time too

1 Like

If you travel in the speed of light, you would not experience any time flow. The beginning and end of universe would be the same timewise. This is called blocktime.

So both past and future exists in the scientific explanation.

According to ‘science’ the illusion of time is created by our memories.(memories perhaps created outside universe? This cannot be…)

I would say, based on this, that it is very plausible we would be caught in a still frame going back in time. Since we did not travel to a position in space and time continously remembering our previous point in time, since we do not exist in the moment thereafter.

In order to travel back in time with lifelike properties, one would need to rearrange full time space segment. Naturally then, there would be no free will, since we had to stage everything.

(Hmm, this solves the time travel paradox, since a timetravel of this sort would have no effect on the future… interesting)

Edit: Aha! There is a hidden dualism in modern science, we asume that information is free, as in freely distributed in universe although delayed by the speed of light, while matter is not free. We belive that while we would not be allowed to travel back in our own past, our body would be allowed to travel and make information exchange with a parallel past. It is the emerging paradox of mind and soul all over again.

1 Like

Future museum :
“Tbo solved the time travel paradox…he couldnt finish this shitty cell phone game though”

Edit: woops it looks like i marked this thread as solved. Well, no going back now, looks like backwards time travel is solved

1 Like

You did solve it for me. (I guess I could construct a mental mini-museum of you :slight_smile: )

I can never again view time as a dimension after your “still image” time travel example. There must be a fundamental flaw in modern reasoning of time and dimensions. Blocktime is an absurd thought and so is the thought of time as ordering of memories.

If Michio Kaku or anyone else ever tries to convince me of “time as a dimension”, I will tell them of tbo from kirupa forum and the still image time travel example.

Michio Kaku: -"You can walk back and forth in time"
Me: -“Sure, but in what dimension would you walk in? Let me tell you this little example…”

Listening on Michio Kaku “Coast to coast”, I heard that there is a string theory pushed from Harvad, that contains two time-dimensions, not one. It is somewhat controversial though in the 11 or 12 dimensions they anticipate in string theory.

Sure, then you could travel in one of the time-dimensions and jump out in another time-location and not be caught in a still frame. What do you say about that? Two time dimensions? Does that sound plausible?

(I must say, I’m inclined to believe that there are 2 or more time dimensions…)

string theory dimensions aren’t time dimensions though, are they?

2 sounds a little limiting. I guess it could make more sense to me if the second dimension is like “dark time”, a la dark matter. Its the time dimenion nega senocular lives.

Not all of them no… they seem to deal with gravity most, not sure?

If I had a plumber at home and he said this, I think that would mean Einstein made a bad job?

Note that string theory does not predict that the Einstein equations are obeyed exactly. Perturbative string theory adds an infinite series of corrections to the Einstein equation.

Imagen a plumber saying that, infinite corrections…that would be expensive.

I wouldn’t put it past a plumber to say that and squeeze every penny out of you

My coworker recently told me his moms house had a clog at the main drain pipe underground. He said a guy came out, had to dig a hole and ran a long snake with a drill down to the street.

When pulling it out, he kept spinning it, spitting all over his legs just continuing on with his conversation.

I asked what he did with the suit after. And he replied, suit? No he just had jeans on, got in his truck and drove away.

…wait what are we talking about again? Sometimes i think kirupa should just ban me. Unfortunately we have entered the dimension where i had tell that terrible story.

Random fact #2, that same guy ordered an aligator in an unmarked box in the mail

The first eggshaped sewers where constructed in London late half 1800… Its kind of clever, since the more narrow bottom will have a faster flow and flush out sediments. (And perhaps alligators?)
http://www.sewerhistory.org/photosgraphics/pipe-oval-egg-shaped/

Also I read that: “Albert Einstein was named an honorary member of the Plumbers and Steamfitters Union after saying publicly that he would become a plumber if he had to do it all over again.”

So, Tbo, there is a small possability that it was Einstein…

There seems to be a new kind of material. Time crystals. First predicted by Frank Wilcek in 2012 and now created by two independent research teams.

“Wouldn’t it be super weird if you jiggled the Jell-O and found that somehow it responded at a different period?”

Read the news release; makes absolutley no sense to me. Crazy physicists!

Yes, its crazy, and its not the first never before seen matter created 2017.

Lazy physicists!

ah, thats why I had to dig up the link elsewhere, should have raised suspicion…

I remember hearing about time crystals research last year. I didn’t understand it then, or now. However I’m fairly certain we are all thinking the same thing.

http://static.srcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Harrison-Ford-as-Indiana-Jones-in-Raiders-of-the-Lost-Ark.jpg

I’m thinking the same thing, now.