Using event.currentTarget with XML

It’s been a long week and I’m brain dead so I’m hoping that this is something simple that one of you can help me with.

I am loading a series of thumnails through an XML file into a scrolling movieClip. I am able to get all of the images to load and scroll and even control their alpha value using event.currentTarget. What I am having a problem with is getting the corresponding XML attribute(@title) to load into a dynamic text field.

Here is a snippet of my XML file:

<thumbs>
    <thumb img="http:url_1"
        title="Title One" />
    <thumb img="http:url_2"
        title="Title Two" />
</thumbs>

The thumbnails are loaded into an XMLList called “_thumbs”:
_thumbs = xmlData.thumb;
And I can load the “title” property into a text field manually using:
info_txt.text= _thumbs.@title[0];

What I want to have happen is when the user rolls over a thumbnail that thumnail’s opacity changes and the "info_txt.text is updated to the thumbnail’s corresponding “@title” attribute.

My MOUSE_OVER listener calls the following function:

ActionScript Code:
[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]**function**[/COLOR] thumbOver[COLOR=#000000]([/COLOR]event:MouseEvent[COLOR=#000000])[/COLOR]:[COLOR=#0000FF]void[/COLOR] [COLOR=#000000]{[/COLOR]
event.[COLOR=#000080]currentTarget[/COLOR].[COLOR=#000080]alpha[/COLOR] = [COLOR=#000080]1[/COLOR];

[COLOR=#000000]**var**[/COLOR] desc:[COLOR=#0000FF]String[/COLOR] = _thumbs.@title;
info_txt.[COLOR=#0000FF]text[/COLOR]=event.[COLOR=#000080]currentTarget[/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]([/COLOR]desc[COLOR=#000000])[/COLOR];

[COLOR=#000000]}[/COLOR]
[/LEFT]

The thumbnail alpha changes and the text field changes to the text that is defined by the first title attribute. What I need to figure out is how to use a variable instead of the “#”. I’m assuming that I should be able to make use of event.currentTarget like I did to change the alpha of the thumbail movieClip. I’ve tried many incarnations of this without any luck. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I’d be very grateful. Thank you.