Weird mac issue

hey, i’m a pc user in my home office but i often get stuck on macs at the different places i freelance. every single mac i’ve ever used has had this issue but it’s nothing that i’m doing, and i can’t figure out what the deal is.

when i’m using photoshop and i’ve got the MARQUEE tool and i right click to FREE TRANSFORM (or access it from the edit menu) as soon as i start transforming photoshop creates a copy of the object i’m transforming on a new layer leaving the original one in it’s original place and size. if’ i’m trying to transform a path or shape it creates a copy of the path on the SAME LAYER as the original (which is a huge pain)

i’ve tried everything, i make sure i’m only clicking once with the left button, i make sure i’m not holding anything on the keyboard or nothing is sitting on it…

this happens EVERYWHERE i go on EVERY mac i use photoshop on. it makes have to do things 2-3 times and it really slows me down.

i can’t find any reason for it. have any of you ever heard anything like this? :m:

thanks

weird, i just tried everything i could to replicate the problem, but when i choose free transform it won’t make a duplicate copy no matter what.

Yea same here, i tried everything I could think of to get it to duplicate, and it yields: no duplication…

If you have the time, and the effort, try recording video of it happening, or take screenshots before and after showing your toolbars etc.

thanks for the quick response guys, now that i’ve asked about it i can’t purposely get it to replicate now either… but it’s been doing it to me all day.

as soon as it happens again i’ll put up a screenshot.

yeah I have had this happen before, I thought there might hvae been an option somewhere about Copy during Free Transform or something, but can’t find one.

Perhaps you have been using the wrong shortcut? If you add ‘alt’ on PC or ‘option’ on Mac it does a copy+transform, if you want a plain transform it will just be snowflake + T. I have changed my Ctrl+Alt+T to something else and now i don’t think i can change it back because Copy+transform doesn’t seem to be in the shortcut menu anywhere, but i’m pretty sure that’s the right way of doing it.

[quote=iLikePie;2329379]yeah I have had this happen before, I thought there might hvae been an option somewhere about Copy during Free Transform or something, but can’t find one.

Perhaps you have been using the wrong shortcut? If you add ‘alt’ on PC or ‘option’ on Mac it does a copy+transform, if you want a plain transform it will just be snowflake + T. I have changed my Ctrl+Alt+T to something else and now i don’t think i can change it back because Copy+transform doesn’t seem to be in the shortcut menu anywhere, but i’m pretty sure that’s the right way of doing it.[/quote]

yea, that’s the thing. i’m making sure not to press anything before, during or after the transform. and to get to the free transform mode i’m only ever using the Marquee tool, right clicking and choosing Free Transform. there should be no shortcuts getting in the way.

here are some screens, it’s been happening to me ALL day today. it’s infuriating. sorry they are so big, the monitor here is humongous. there are 3 different scenarios where it’s happening.

screen 1 | [URL=“http://multimediahaam.com/storage/screen2.jpg”]screen 2 | [URL=“http://multimediahaam.com/storage/screen3.jpg”]screen 3

Ok, this is a stretch,

I’ve never had to duplicate whilst transforming before (my workflow usually entails duplicating prior to transforming)

So I’ve googled, and learned that Command-Option-T will do the duplicate-transform function (which is what you are experiencing by just pressing Command-T)

Just be absolutely, doubley, extremely sure that nothing is messed up within your Keyboard Shortcuts prefs

Is Free Transform the only tool affected? What about Skew, Perspective, Distort … etc?

Also, what happens when you Command-Option-T ?

Does it transform normally?

this machine is brand new. it’s a monster, there’s nothing wrong with it however, there was a freelancer on here before me. but this problem isn’t secluded to just this machine. it happens on every Mac i work on in every office i work in.

i run a PC at home so I never run into the issue, only on Macs, every Mac!

• i don’t need a duplicate, it just makes one without asking.
  • any sort of transforming does the same thing
  • i’m not using any keyboard commands at at (NONE!) just: MARQUEE >> RIGHT CLICK >> FREE TRANSFORM

i wish i had camStudio or something here at work so i could make you guys a video.

Ok, this happens to me too, its not an “issue” its a “feature” i suppose.

Doing a marquee on a simple shape duplicates it within the layer, doing it to an object like text or path duplicates onto a new layer.

Just do your marquee and hit Command-T instead of right clicking > Free Transform

Problem solved.

(for me anyways)

Although, i never used the right click > transform method, so it never was a problem for me to begin with

[COLOR=Red]**
*Edit: Ugh, jamie is not having a good day, disregard all of that ^^ I have yet to be able to reproduce the problem properly
**[/COLOR]

haha, this IS the exact issue tho. if it’s a feature then list it as reason 7,020 why i’ll never own a mac. :asleep: