What is Good Design?

i wonder what made u sad thor, i like wat kit said , makes perfect sence to me :stuck_out_tongue:

Pet peeve of mine, no doubt inspired by looking through SotW submissionsā€¦ :sure:

#1 thing in good design:

Know your audienceā€¦

Couldnt agree more :slight_smile:
I agree many of thing things people mention can be annoying but flash web design is a form of art in my opinion.
I mean if you want a site with masses of info and data which is just purely neat and functional then use HTML and php etcā€¦

If you are using flash at all then it already shows that you probably want a more visually impacting site than a basic HTML/code site.

So sometimes things like functionality must be comprimised achieve a certian look or feel.
Like 2advanced as an example of a universally accpeted good site (for the most part) it looks fantastic but really many of the bells and whistles could be removed and make a much easier less confusing site for the average web user, but then itd lose its visual impactā€¦design and functionality is a bit of a catch 22

Ok, here again, the best example for superior design :wink:

thats painful to look atā€¦

*Originally posted by ave *
**Couldnt agree more :slight_smile:

:love:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by McGiver
Ok, here again, the best example for superior design
Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

:hr:

24,000 volt shock

Commandment 34 : Thou shal use readable text. If thy usith scribblitious at 6pt thy lord shal come down and kickith thy arsehole. If thy also usith text that exisitith in the same colour as thy background, thy lord shall come down from the heaveans and beatith the with a stick.

*Originally posted by Coppertop *
**Commandment 34 : Thou shal use readable text. If thy usith scribblitious at 6pt thy lord shal come down and kickith thy arsehole. If thy also usith text that exisitith in the same colour as thy background, thy lord shall come down from the heaveans and beatith the with a stick. **

**Lord shal come down and kickith thy arsehole. **

lord shall come down from the heaveans and beatith the with a stick.
really funny hahahah:cap:

how aboutā€¦

ā€œThou shalt not create utterly crap web sites , which stresses thine melon to look atā€

the last site posted is bad enough to give acid flash backs or worseā€¦

webtekrocks reached cult status!
I fell in love with their webtips

and always remember: IF IT DOESNā€™T FIT - RESIZE IT!! :wink:

surley thats not a real web design company
someone is having a good laugh

having a good laugh? more like being a laughing stock iā€™d say :slight_smile:

more frightening is if anyone actually paid them money :slight_smile:
although i think its got its web tongue firmly in its web cheek.

man o man, wat a point aveā€¦ gosh if someone paid him for this :dowehaveshockedsmilehere?:
and yea i think u r also right about tht tongue and cheek thing:P

right on man :slight_smile: i here that

Thou shall not upload 56meg mpg files and tell thine veiwer that it will stream
www.zedleppelin.com

This guy is a friend of mine that has done 3 years Cert 3 Multimedia
oh my god what are they teaching them

lol!

ignore the content of this ok i was looking it up for another thread im posting in.
But click the link on this page and wow the pop up which appears really is a fine example of how not to design ANYTHING.

LINK

check out the annoying scrolling text while that FANTASTIC background pic stays still and the groovy use of frames is particularly choice :smirk:

ā€œsimple but effectiveā€

without proper layout is very bad. Especially many websites on geocities. Has anyone ever encountered a geocities site without proper planning.?