What's the matter of my search engine?

hi there, i was doing a little search engine in flash mx, but it have some problems.

i load the content of a text file, there is a lot of names, and some data too, and i have to search a name for example, ok, when i first search a name, ok, i use the Selection.setSelection to highlight the name or whatever i search, but after the first time i search, i don’t search anymore!!! what’s the matter of this thing?

well let me show you guys the script:

on(release){
result = _root.textos.htmlText.indexOf(texto_pesquisa.text);
if(texto_pesquisa.text != “” && result >= 0){
Selection.setFocus(_root.textos);
Selection.setSelection(result, result + texto_pesquisa.text.length);
}else{
texto_pesquisa.text = “Nome inexistente…”;
}
}

this script is attached to a button, within the “pesquisa” MC, wich is in the _root of the movie.

does anyone see what’s wrong?

indexOf returns the first one that matches, is it possible it just keeps finding the same one??

If so then you need to create a substring after you found the first one and do an indexOf on that.

Hope this helps

ok, i’ll try something like that, but, i don’t see why is wrong, all the search dependes on what is on the text field:

result = _root.textos.htmlText.indexOf(texto_pesquisa.text);

every time i release the button, it takes the value and then do the search. And why when i first search and return the correct result, why the word didn’t highlight? (Selection.setSelection(result, result + texto_pesquisa.text.length):wink: ???

thanks for the help, i tought doing diferent but not get there it…

YEEESS! Got it, this is the correct script that does the search:

on(release){
result = _root.textos.text.indexOf(texto_pesquisa.text);
if(texto_pesquisa.text != “” && result >= 0){
Selection.setFocus(_root.textos);
Selection.setSelection(result, result + texto_pesquisa.text.length);
}else{
texto_pesquisa.text = “Nome inexistente…”;
}
}

didn’t need the substr at all.