Which chipsets is the best?

im thinking of buying a new motherboard but there are nVIDIA and VIA chipsets. Which one is better?

what prosesor do you want to use?

AMD are the best imo, because they are cheaper than pentuims, cool name, and best of all, they are cheaper! if you want a AMD then get the Gigabite nForce, or if you want a AMD 64, then get the MSI K8T NEO-FIS2R thats the best AMD mobo around.
Pentiums generally suck and I wouldnt buy one, but if your set in your ways and want a pentuim then get the ABIT IC7-MAX3.

what you’re going to find in this is a Ford vs Chevy debate. It’s all a matter of experience and opinion as to which is best. I’ve never used an AMD, but I know people that have lots of problems with them. On the other hand, I would never say that they aren’t any good because I know people like blabj there who say AMD is the best.

There really is no right answer unfortunately. You’ll probably just have to look at some comparison charts and just go for it.

yeah, read PCEXTREME magazine and you’ll soon become as biased as me. :D. im sorry, ill try not to be like this in the future, thanks for the reality check UNFLUX :slight_smile:

no worries, just trying to keep it even keeled. no need for another pentium vs amd flame thread. :wink:

hehe, do you have a flaming forum? we need one, i enjoy it now and then :smiley: nah only joking, i think i have been very good on this forum, maybe had one arguement but thats wasnt a big one :slight_smile:

im thinking of buying Athlon XP 2500+ 333 FSB
and for the motherboard ASUS A7N8X

is that a good combination?

any suggestion?

it’s all in what you want to do with it as well, i’ve heard numerous times that AMD is better for mainly gaming, while pentium is better for multimedia… although that will change soon as AMD is coming out with a new chip (i think, can’t remember… my friend is hardcore and was tellin me all about it…) but soon AMD will be just as good for multimedia…
so in conclusion…

gaming - AMD
multimedia - pentium, but if you wait a couple months you can take your pick at 2 equals.

if you’re goin for the AMD 2500+, go with the AMD Mobile Barton 2500+… multiplyer is unlocked, and depending on the chip you happen to luck out with you can get some VERY nice speeds overclocking…

anyway i’d suggest headin over and registering here for hardware questions… you’ll get amazing answers, much better than in a flash design forum ;)… no offence. but the guys here are all about the hardware…

cool jarviscares! thanks

He asked about chipsets not processors. How did all the replies get geared towards AMD and Pentium?

VIA comes out with more frequent driver updates than nForce, but nForce is still a bit of a better and faster chipset. And this pains me to say seeing as how I hate all things nvidia!

im thinking of buying Athlon XP 2500+ 333 FSB
and for the motherboard ASUS A7N8X
Thats a pretty good board. I had the Via version (A7V8X) for awhile. Some mild insanity during setup but once it was setup properly it was really stable. Ive been test driving a chaintech board with an Nforce chipset for a few weeks now… nothing special. Soyo is my choice for best mobo’s.

P4 ASUS P4P800S MOTHERBOARD / INTEL 848P CHIPSET / DDR 400 SUPPORT / FSB800 SUPPORT / SERIAL ATA SUPPORT / ON BOARD 6 CHANNEL SOUND AND LAN / 8 X AGP

it’s all in what you want to do with it as well, i’ve heard numerous times that AMD is better for mainly gaming, while pentium is better for multimedia… although that will change soon as AMD is coming out with a new chip (i think, can’t remember… my friend is hardcore and was tellin me all about it…) but soon AMD will be just as good for multimedia…
so in conclusion…

gaming - AMD
multimedia - pentium, but if you wait a couple months you can take your pick at 2 equals.

took the words out of my mouth…

I find that once you find a motherboard that you’re thinking about getting, do a search on google (or even some sites already have links) to reviews on what you are buying. As far as hardware goes, these tend to be quite informative and you’ll find out the good and bad parts of what you’re going to buy.

That’s just my two cents, it’s never done me wrong!

heh, I’ve had the same AMD for almost 3 years, and it’s still running VERY hot…

also, AMD was the first eh, ‘windows-based’ chip to offer 64-bit processing… might wanna take that into consideration… also, you don’t need as much ghz w/ an AMD for some reason… so like a 2.6ghz AMD is equal to a 3.oghz pentium.

:slight_smile: