Who has experience using an enlarger in a darkroom?

After following my film shooting, I will need to do an exercise in which involves using the enlarger within a darkroom. Is there someone here who has experience using an enlarger could help me? Specifically, I need to iron some details out when doing a Multi Grade filter test.

that title is SO misleading…

I swear it!! :look:

lmao @ the title!

i get it…:lol:

I swear baby it’s not mine!

:lol:

Best.Thread.Ever

:lol:

And you mean like a dilation type thing… There isn’t much info behind it. It’s pretty simple geometry…

aye, harish is right. you insert your developed negative into a holding slot, shine light through it against a backing (undeveloped film paper sits on the backing) and you twist a nob that makes the film closer or farther from a magnifying lens. The whole apparatus is not all that different from an overhead transparency projection machine.

Wtf is wrong with you people? I asked who had experience using an enlarger in a darkroom because I needed help in using an enlarger. It’s a thread title so it’s the main point of my question. All I wanted was an answer given by Upuaut. Or did you think the thread title meant something else? It’s about photography.

Like no way! :worried:

We all knew what it was about - relax.

Well… I laughed sure, but the perverted mind can see the thread being a joke.

see

After following my film shooting pr0n video, I will need to do an exercise in which involves using the enlarger within a darkroomprep up for the next pr0n video. Is there someone here who has experience using an enlarger could help me? Specifically, I need to iron some details out when doing a Multi Grade filter test.tips on avoiding people from knowing that i use an enlarger patch with a filter test thing

And since upaut was right, that means I was right, w33t.

I have little experience. Upuaut has it down. I’m not entirely sure about what you’re asking though.

slide the negative in, position, focus and enlarge as necessary. Adjust light brightness and timer, turn off, slip undevelopped film paper beneath it, then expose under the enlarger’s white light for the set time.

You can use a number of filters, which basically slip into this compartment before the lens. They can do a number of things, ive only been shown how to increase contrast. You have to bump up the timer after slipping in a filter, as the light has to go through both the filter and the negative.

Hope somehow that answered your question, i only learnt this recently.

:stuck_out_tongue: Sorry Mini, I didn’t mean to turn your thread into a joke, but you gotta admit, that title IS misleading :slight_smile:

Yeah that’s ok, sorry I bit your head off.

Thanks Bird-E, that’s was what I was looking for. I won’t be able to use an enlarger until Monday so which is why I want to know a few things to get a head start. I’ve got to make a test strip and I understand that you use a dark board/card to cover the paper before exposing it with light. But as you uncover the paper, does the area you first exposed get’s exposed again or it only affects the area your about to expose?

Here is a better respresentation of what I am trying to say:

That is basically a Multigrade filter test to find the best colour contrast (i.e. best black and best white in image). That part of the paper will have be tested at a Grade of 2 for example. Now as I move the paper to the right, does that bit of paper get exposed again? (Look below)

[URL=“http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3751/1111118ds.gif”]

Hmm, i’m not entirely sure about that. Do you mean that part one will be exposed twice as you move the board over for the second test strip, and so on?

So is there gonna be one negative image shining over the entire surface/board, and you’ll be exposing segments of it? I’m not sure about the effects of exposing an already exposed film paper, if that makes sense. I would think that it would make that image darker, because more light will be shining on to it. That section wouldn’t have gone through the developper and other liquids, so white light would probably still affect it. If you were to move the paper, then whatever is being exposed onto it, will probably expose over the previous image.

The aim of the multigrade filter test is probably to compare results between the sections, so you cant really have the other parts of the image being exposed for longer (due to re-exposure). Like I said, I’m unsure about what will happen. If it goes down like I assume it would, then they’d probably have a way around it, like re-covering the already exposed section with another board, then dipping the entire image into developper.

We actually went about it differently when I did it at school. Instead of using one large sheet of film paper, we chopped it up and used strips (hence the name, test strip). You would put the strip where an important part of the image was, expose it, develop it, then make adjustments like bumping up the timer or changing filters after seeing the result. In the end, none of the strips get exposed twice, so thats why im not sure about what would happen if that were the case.

I found it all (using an enlarger) pretty interesting. Once you get the hang of it, its really quite simple. The contraption (if you havent already seen one before) is like an overhead projector and a microscope in one. There’s a knob which adjusts the light/lens’ height on the neck and a knob on the light/lens section that focusses the image. Light brightness can be adjusted by twisting the lens and feeling little ‘clicks’, and you can see the increments on this little glowing number. The negative holder is above the lens and the filter holder is above the negative holder. The timer is an external device (at least on the ones I used), with a dial and three buttons.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for that Bird-E, it does makes sense now cutting the paper up in small strips. :slight_smile: