XML character problem

It seems this is a rather common problem and I have tried a number of different things to try and make this work.

I have tried uft-8, uft-16, and the iso one. I have tried ' no luck. I have tried &#37, no luck.

<a l="Best new product award"  t="OmegaSmooth - Best New Product Award at Natural Products Europe" d="April 11, 2006">Regarded as the &#39;Leader in Omega-3 Science and Innovation&apos;, Ascenta Health created a buzz among retailers looking for something new to the already red-hot Omega-3 category. Ascenta describes OmegaSmooth as an Omega-3 supplement that is very different from traditional fish oils. Through the development of a proprietary new processing technology Ascenta researchers were able to completely transform the usual taste and texture associated with fish oils. As a result, OmegaSmooth delivers a silky smooth texture along with a mouth-watering taste. The children's version features a taste referred to as 'Berry Sensation' while the adult version is 'Orange Sensation'.
	</a>

There you can see three ways I’ve tried to get the apostrophe to show up properly. But for all of them, it just displays ’

Help?