XML character problem

It seems this is a rather common problem and I have tried a number of different things to try and make this work.

I have tried uft-8, uft-16, and the iso one. I have tried ' no luck. I have tried &#37, no luck.

<a l="Best new product award"  t="OmegaSmooth - Best New Product Award at Natural Products Europe" d="April 11, 2006">Regarded as the &#39;Leader in Omega-3 Science and Innovation&apos;, Ascenta Health created a buzz among retailers looking for something new to the already red-hot Omega-3 category. Ascenta describes OmegaSmooth as an Omega-3 supplement that is very different from traditional fish oils. Through the development of a proprietary new processing technology Ascenta researchers were able to completely transform the usual taste and texture associated with fish oils. As a result, OmegaSmooth delivers a silky smooth texture along with a mouth-watering taste. The children's version features a taste referred to as 'Berry Sensation' while the adult version is 'Orange Sensation'.

There you can see three ways I’ve tried to get the apostrophe to show up properly. But for all of them, it just displays ’