XML for Flash application structure

I posted this in the Actionscript 3.0 forum as well, but I think it pertains to both. I am a designer/coder, but certainly not a developer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hello all!

I’m working on a project that is a “build your own” type of system. The client needs to be able to select and deselect most of the products. Some items are required for others to be available. What I hope to accomplish this with is through simple XML so that it is extensible and I can manipulate it easily. Has anyone ever set up a similar structure with XML? I’m stumped as to how to do it. So far, my idea is as follows:

I’ve broken down the building process into six steps. In most of these steps, there are a number of choices, but only one can be selected. For each of these instances, if you select a choice, all other selected choices will be unselected.

Some steps have a simple two-level hierarchical approach to them. This means that the second level will only be available once the first level is completed. Thus my XML will contain two levels. Only once level one is complete can level two begin.

To begin, I’ve started by structuring my XML document around the steps. All item elements are to be located inside of these steps. This is fine.

What is not fine, however, is that I would like to be able to access all of my elements upon loading my Flash movie, simply to give their names to a variable in Flash, so that I may track relevant data, such as whether the item is selected or not (keep in mind, that skipping back and forth between steps is a must – clients must be able to customize this product to their every delight).

So, if you can follow what I just described, would there be any direction I could get pointed to find a good structure for this XML I am trying to set up? I am very poor at styling XML, so it would not only help me out with my project but be good practice for the future :smiley:

Thanks in advance!