3D Program - What should I use?

Thanks everyone for the help, even if un-intended. This weekend is a download-and-try weekend. Hopefully I find something I like!

$100… dang, I thought it was free… I profess ignorance!

LW… I’ve tested out 5 and found the interface a little tricky, but I’ve heard it’s a good app to get started with. Is there an educational version?

not really you got to plead your case to them for a trial I believe. But I am absolutely in love with SILO right now.

I don’t they’ll be releasing anything soon… they lost most of their core developers about a year or so back I think (who are incidentally releasing their own product in direct competition with LW). Apparently LW 8 is a real disappointment because they didn’t change any of the underlying program architecture, just tacked on extras.

nice, industry conspiracies , lol, any follow up material on what app they are releasing ironik? sounds interesting…

They’ve founded a company called ‘Luxology’ and are going to release a new 3D package called ‘Modo’. I don’t have any web links… it was something I was reading recently about the release of LW 8.

wow, looks good

http://www.luxology.net/

Well, when i bought a book it came with free software and it came with a trial version of milkshape 3d which didnt even make sense because the book was about 2D games But i recently started using it an di really liked it.

then i got swift 3d. but i like milkshape a lot

[off topic]
i was modeling a cool character in it and my trial stopped working so i could save it >:O
[/off topic]

actually I was expecting more out of 8, but it is a nice advancement. Although max 7 is looking good. You are right they integrated a bunch of plugins I already had for 7.5. The best thing they can do now is integrate fprime which will open up the code to people like MR and VR. BUt LW is not going anywhere anytime soon. They have a whole new team and some good things are on the horizon.

Blender is pretty good if you’re on a budget :slight_smile:

http://blender3d.org/

(pretty wack website as well :D)

Yo Blender 3d Rocks… Straight up like your ol mamma’s perm. G!
And You can’t beat free.
I kinda think its a cult thing too.
plus you got like hundreds of people working on upgrades cause its a huge open source thing.