A gradient mask on an image - possible?

Here’s my sob story…
I have two states of the same image, I want to apply a gradient mask on the one to reveal the second.

I found a tutorial on how to add masks to images, and another showing how to add a gradient mask to a line that’s been converted to fills, but is is possible to apply a gradient mask to an image?

(Of course if you say “Yes, it is possible”, I’d appreciate it if you could tell me how :wink: )

i wasnt aware you could do ANY kind of gradient mask in flash…
wuld you mind explaining how to do your “gradient mask to a line that’s been converted to fills” with me?
andd then ill tell u how to do a cheap workaround for the lack of gradiented mask support in FMX…
its excessively time consuming but you basically use a pixel gradient like attached…

Prophet.

PS note i havent actually tested this, it is just a theoretical workaround i thought of!

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/gradientmask.htm

this should help you trough… i guess a gradient mask to a line converted to fill should work the same…

oh if uv got a plain background then yer i gues u could do that…
but i asaumed he wanted to mask it with other things in the area he wants to mask off… but then to assume is to make an *** out of U and ME right?? :wink:

Prophet.

Most of the examples I’ve found on the net apply gradient masks to solid colours in order to make it look like the image has a gradient mask on it. Since what I want to do is apply a gradient mask to an image so that you can see a background image, this won’t work for me.

I did find a few examples on how to acheive this goal, but they all require manually creating masks of different opacities and applying them all separately. What a hack…

I’m gonna have to wave my little white flag today and hope that the Macromedia boys come up with a solution in a future copy of flash.

just add a normal mask, and then the gradient in the shape of the mask on a seperat layer above it

wont work. he wants a gradient of an image from alpha 100 to alpha 0 and he doesnt have solid backgrounds… he wants an image (background) to show through

Prophet.