.asf

i’m trying to convert my .mp3 files to .asf and have followed your tutorial here:

www.kirupa.com/developer/…/setup.asp

when i download the encoder (whether version 7 or :cool: and run the first wizard session, i do not find the option for template i/o options. when i look further into it, i find that i need to:

1. set up a multicast station on Windows Media Server

i’m not sure how to do this and am unclear how to even generate a stream format with the encoder. does anyone have any idea, please?

thanks,

matt.

Hello,
The new Media Player 7 does not have that option. Just use the option for converting files on your disk to the WMA format. The page that I created for is extremely outdated (over a year old.) The new Windows Media Encoder works better and easier as well.

I hope that helped. If you have any further questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to reply back.

Regards,
Kirupa Chinnathambi
[email protected]

hi kirupa,

thanks for responding so quick. i converted all my .mp3 files to .wma.

though it did compress them quite nicely (most .mp3 files were about 5,000,000 - 7,000,000 bytes and .wma compressed them to about 100,000 bytes). but, the sound quality is awful now. is this what i’m sacrificing by compressing them?

what i’m trying to do is put songs on my website that people can listen to, and people with slow modems can listen to them too without having to download a heavy .mp3 file (that can sometimes take 45 minutes or more to download). that’s why i was so gung-ho about converting them to .asf (but i guess that is no longer possible with the new windows media encoder - but i’ll take a closer look because i just saw an option to ‘generate stream format’ on the new encoder…even though when i did it the file was empty when i finished).

do you have any ideas?

by the way, i do a lot of surfing…for work and for pleasure and it is rare that i find a site where i’ll post anything in a forum. but your site is real nice, so i give you big props for that. i’m learning flash now as well and use your site as my only resource. keep up the great work…

matt.

Hello fumeng,
I’m glad that you discovered this forum, and I hope you enjoy your stay :slight_smile:

You can customize the Streaming audio file settings. In the third or fourth scene of the Broadcast New Session wizard, you should see an area marked “Profile Selection”. From there you can customize the various sound options depending on bandwith. The higher the bandwith, the better the sound will be. That might help. All Windows Media files now have the streaming capability. Any file ending in WMA or WMV will stream into a user’s PC.

I hope that helped. If you have any questions or comments, please don’t hesitate to reply back.

Regards,
Kirupa Chinnathambi
[email protected]