Asp+Flash Hit Counter

hie there…
i want a flash hit counter and in the backend i want to use ASP as my server dont support PHP , so it would be really helpful if some one out there who can provide me with the complete TUTORIAL. how to retrive data from asp and what “code” should i put on asp to count the no. of users visiting my webpage.
thanks

me waiting :slight_smile:

You may download the files from
http://www.digi-designs.net/digios/Flash_ASP_hitcounter.zip

I inserted a read me file in the pack. If you need any help contact me via MSN Messenger([email protected]).

Can you send me the code for counter in asp that you made?

Thank you

http://www.digi-designs.net/digios/Flash_ASP_hitcounter.zip you can d/l the files here

I couldn’t get it to work… I did the three steps outlined. Maybe I don’t understand the reference to the swf file. Need help. Looks cool and do have a need.

Thanks

If it makes a difference. I am on an IIS server and I am able to run asap…

As well, it may be the global.asa file. The only reason why I state this is because the flash doesn’t show any numbers for number of users that visit the site as well as how many are currently viewing it.

I try to run yours, after run zip to unpackage the files, from my IIS server and still get the same results as stated above.

ccdenny3;

What OS are you using?
If you are on WinXP or Win2000 you should have IIS installed on your pc.If you are on Win98 Personal Web Server have to be installed.

If you have IIS or PWS on your there should be a root folder (c:\inetpub\wwwroot). What you need to is extract the files to a folder in (or directly to) root folder and change the database path in “Connections\connDigi.asp” .

The hit count is kept on database , the active or online users are traced via global.asa.

Hi Osman:

I have an IIS server. My we site is found in “C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\devdesktop”.

The “Connections\connDigi.asp” entry states “C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\devdesktop\db\digid.mdb” I know it sees the database because if I change this to anything else, the text and numbers when you click on the “i” box doesn’t display. If it states that shown above, then the text does display (without the numbers).

The feature of displaying how many users have accessed the web site (utilizing the database) as well as how many are currently on line (global.asa) doesn’t display (the numbers). (I know I am redundant to above, just stating for my peace of mind)

I have the “global.asa” in “C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\devdesktop”.

Your help is well appreciated and look forward to your reply.

Thanks again…

I think it’s my fault. I forgot to state that global.asa should be in the root folder. In this case C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\ is the place where global.asa should be located to work.

I tried with no positive results :frowning:

Questions:
If it doesn’t see the database, the text itself doesn’t display, correct?
If it does see the database, it displays the text, correct?
Reading the database and updating it then may be a read/write issue?

Thanks. I can do that only in the evenings on EST. I will try to catch you. One thing I noticed is that you reference a drive mapping while I am referencing a UNC. IE E:\db or C:\inetpub\wwwroot\devdesktop while I am doing [\amsapp11\devdesktop\db](file://\amsapp11devdesktopdb). Maybe the problem lies here?

What time are you on Eastern Standard Time to chat via msn? Otherwise, maybe if you have an AOL account during the day, we can chat that way?

Ok. So, here I am at home with an IIS server with ASP capability. I downloaded your zip file.
In C:\Inetpub\wwwroot est (the root of this web site), I put the global.asa file.
In the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot est\connections, I modify the conndigi.asp file so the database is equal to "C:\Inetpub\wwwroot est\db\digid.mdb"
I didn’t modify the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot est\counter.asp. I left that pointing to hit_counter.asp.

I assume that I execute “hit_counter.asp” to launch for everything to work.

I get the following error and I rebooted the IIS Service in hope to resolve. I get the same error. That error is as follows:
HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP error
Internet Information Services

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Error Type:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.
/test/counter_db_inc.asp, line 28

At work, it never errorred out…

Hope this helps in trying to resolve my problem.

Thanks again. If you have AIM account, I can chat at work with that.

OK… I finally got it working. However, the problem lies here. Showing the “on-line” users works. However, the increment of the web site doesn’t. How do I fix that? I looked at the database and it looks like I need to enter the path of where the html file or asp file is located for this to work. Can you shed some light on that?

Thanks

I did get it working. To get it working, I had to make a copy of the “hit_counter.asp” and then rename that copy to “hit_counter.html”. Didn’t want to rename the original just in case. So the “hit_counter.asp” is not being used. That is how I got the page to start working.

If I execute the “hit_counter.asp”, it errors out with the following:

Error Type:
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Operation must use an updateable query.

If I execute “hit_counter.html”, it doesn’t error out. However, the numbers don’t increment on how many visitors the site had. So, that is the current problem I have.
For the global.asa and conndigi.asp, I followed the directions in the readme file.

If you can shed the light on the counter issue, it sure would help me out.

Thanks again…

I did get it working. To get it working, I had to make a copy of the “hit_counter.asp” and then rename that copy to “hit_counter.html”. Didn’t want to rename the original just in case. So the “hit_counter.asp” is not being used. That is how I got the page to start working.

Error Type:

The numbers don’t increment on how many visitors the site had. I added an entry called hit_counter.html in the database because the program didn’t add it automatically. If I execute “hit_counter.html”, it doesn’t error out. For the on-line users increment, that keeps adding up everytime I open a new session. Though I am the only one on it. So, this is the current problem I have.

For the global.asa and conndigi.asp, I followed the directions in the readme file.

If you can shed the light on the counter issues, it sure would help me out.

Thanks again…

Read only this reply and ignore all previous :slight_smile:

Error Type:

I added an entry called hit_counter.html in the database because the program didn’t add it automatically. The numbers don’t increment on how many visitors the site had. So, this is the current problem I have.

If you can shed the light on the counter issues, it sure would help me out.

Thanks again…