Best course on bootstrap to learn bootstrap for someone who requires more mentoring?

I’m struggling with frontend. Although my basics of html,css are clear, I’m having trouble in building websites and I’m just putting baby steps towards it(made my first simple html css site today). Thus a guidance from a mentor would be really helpful to me in learning. If I don’t find any resources, my plan is to just google and read till I understand.

I want to ask this question because I wasted lots of time in the past in bad resources. I bought “CSS Cookbook”, turns out it was heavily outdated. I bought Jonas’s CSS course in udemy, turns out it wasn’t right fit for me because it was unnecessarily project heavy. But imo you make projects on your own rather than by watching and copying others make projects.

So, recommend me a course that teaches bootstrap basics and maybe guide me towards building a website using html,css and bootstrap. I’m asking this question so that I don’t waste more time on bad resources.

From your previous threads, it does seem like you have enough knowledge to figure things out when stuck. My suggestion would be to not focus on courses anymore but to find interesting layouts and projects to re-create. Any of the template gallery sites or dribbble can give you inspiration.

When re-creating those pages, Google for anything you are stuck on. Do ask here as well, and I or anybody else can help you out further.

Lastly, I would encourage you to focus on the capabilities you already get with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript without relying on something additional like Bootstrap. There are few layout things you can’t do natively these days where you need a CSS-utility framework.

Im with Kirupa, learning a framework (or woteva theyre called) without having a good understanding of the technologies that make it is not a good idea. If you have any problems or need to make any specific tweaks your not going to be able to. Once you have a good understanding of html/css then learning something like Bootstrap will become a lot easier, they all relate. You also said you where interested in this stuff as a career, no employer is going to hire someone for Bootstrap if they dont understand the fundamentals of html/css. If youd like to read some great articles on why frameworks can suck then go check out Jason Knight on Medium, hes always going off about em, or something else :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Love that guys angry energy and humour, plus hes ■■■■ smart and has old school values…my kinda guy.

You keep saying you want a mentor. You have to understand that most people with the knowledge level to do that well are going to have jobs, families and lives. They cant be on hand just to help you, unless you pay them. Theres only so many of us that have no lives and time to spare. So you can only really ask questions here or there or get a bunch of people that can help you…once again, twitter, codepen, discord, forums, etc. I miss the days of forums, they where the best place and after a very quick search I only found two that might be good… https://forum.freecodecamp.org/ https://forums.htmlhelp.com

A couple of tips on asking questions…
Remember they are people, so try to use the same etiquette you would in real life. If you ask a question and someone takes the time to try and help you, you should thank them or atleast acknowledge them. Imagine in real life if someone came up to you and asked you a question, you gave them one and they just turned around and walked off. Now imagine if you didnt know the exact answer so you did some googling, read some stuff, did some tests and then they just walked off. After a bit your not answering them anymore. They arent bots or tools, they are people.
Word you questions like… Why doesnt this work? I tried such and such, because of such and such, I expected such and such, what am I doing wrong? Try to never ask, how do I do such and such. The first one implies your trying and failing whereas the second sounds like you want people to do something for you. And the other one is to imply something cant be done, some people will love to prove you wrong…good old social engineering :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Always try to add back to where you get help, if others see it they are much more inclined to try and help. Its why when I got into StackOverflow I went out of my way to get my score up (got 8000+ :slight_smile: ). Creating things is also a big one, specially if it can make people follow you so they see your questions, but that one will take you a while yet.

1 Like

thanks. I’m saying mentorship in the form of courses though. Teacher I mean.

but would it be a good approach to do so? I’m not sure. bootstrap is whole new thing. some teach bootstrap in 1hr some teach it in 20 hrs. I’m currently in baby steps so a video course would be invaluable to me(if it’s great).

I would add https://forum.kirupa.com to this list :crazy_face:

1 Like

hehe, I do apologize, I forgot where I was :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I would ask why learn bootstrap right now at all? If you have to maintain a bootstrap-based codebase, then that seems like a good investment.

If you are learning something for the future, I still do believe learning bootstrap isn’t necessary.

I’m kinda biased (I hate frameworks) but I think the best CSS methodology (not a framework) is Every Layout by Andy Bell…
(I think he worked on Google’s latest CSS course)

His book is a little bit intermediate but the theory offers a solid understanding of CSS…

It would be nice if somebody could do some videos on Every Layout…

Kevin Powell is very CSS orientated and does some great videos…

Hmm, in my country, I suppose, we will be using bootstrap a lot. You recommend tailwindcss?

This is a useful discussion and the original post demonstrates a failure withing the larger front end community to offer guidance to newbies and those migrating or stuck(?) in the no code space. That’s my dilemma.
I got into the no-code space via Webflow JUST TO AVOID CSS. God CSS is so confusing (yet powerful). I’m sure people have seen amazing coding on Codepen.
Kevin Powell is really a treasure as is Kirupa! Praise and gratitude!
But I want to also give a shout out to Xano in the backend world and the folks offering great support on that platform (and others).

But one individual stands out with a business model I wish exists in the front end of Javascript and CSS. Ray Deck has Statechange as a platform and office hours five times a week to resolve back end SNAFUs, Javascript, jquery, AuthO, APIs on Xano, database queries, third party APIs like Amazon, encryption, and the list goes on. But he says he’s just not into CSS.

I discovered some real challenges with a slider (Splide) that I discovered I’d messed up because the code was cloning my JavaScript generated HTML and duplicating id attributes. (I knew that - smirk). But having fresh eyes on a newbies code offers the possibility of avoiding hours of frustration. TIME is worth money to coders. Ive still got problems and don’t have a good resource.

CSS is not a proprietary platform like Xano or Webflow or Bubble. There may be little incentive to offer consulting services by the hour or in an office hours format, but I’d invite people like Kevin Powell, Kirupa and others to offer something like that. Ray Deck has members around the world working on some very diverse projects and serves them from his home in New England at different hours of the day.