Business Cards For New Site

OK, as some of you may know, I’m redesigning my website at the moment. I’m also pondering some ideas for business cards / letterheads etc, and I’d like to get the opinions and ideas of the D&D forum. :slight_smile:

Now, the new site layout looks something like this: (beware, it’s a fairly big gif file.)

I’ve also made a new logo / signature for artworks etc. You can see it at the bottom of the most recent stuff, like the pic at the top here: http://www.kirupaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36853

For letterheads, I’ve pretty much got that worked out. Just the new logo along the top and my address etc. Not too much of a sticking point. The problem comes with the cards, since I’ve never done them before. I know what I’d like, but I don’t know if it’s possible. :slight_smile:

I’ll need the site name, my name, job description and contacts on the front, incorporating the look and feel of the new site… Ideally I’d also like the reverse to be covered in a collage, taken from the banner along the top of the design (I know, I know… simplicity, print costs, yadda yadda… :slight_smile: ).

But… What do you think? Suggestions more than welcome. :slight_smile:

just as a rule of thumb. a number of people like to write on the back of your card, like extra info or something. I read on msn about a big no no with business cards is having the backside printed…but eh…go for it. If the card is going to be a business getter I would go a lil more eye catching…And usually I would match the card to the stationary. Since they will accompany each other in certain circumstances.

Good point about the scribbling, I hadn’t thought of that… :slight_smile:

I was thinking of having the front side quite plain, that might make up for it. Maybe. Hmmm. I just wanted something different and a bit sexy (plus I really love my banner :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Thanks for the suggestion. :slight_smile:

kit that site looks great!

omgosh! you look just like one of my m8’s girls in your footer! lol.

I had a small grahic printed on the back of my cards once, when I could afford it…

It worked fine, no complaints, and I think some found my card quicker with the graphic on the back…

just my $.02

Rev

Look forward to seeing that design online, Kit.

1. For best control, you should use Quark (or PageMaker I s’pose).

2. Design your business card and then fit as many as possible to one side of A4 (this uses commonly available stock and gives you more choice of substrate). If you can get 8 on to the A4, this is called ‘8-up’ and this is how you describe to your printer.

3. Weight of substrate is important re perception of quality - the heavier the better - don’t go under 200gsm

4. Stick to two colours - but remember you got all the tints as well which gives you approx 30 colours for the price of two :beam:

5. What do you want to be memorable about the card; your name?; No Wings?; the design?; etc…

6. Standard size of card is around 90mm x 50mm

7. There’ll be more as I think of 'em…

8. Make sure that the the offline style = online style (feels familiar, yadayada)

Have fun :slight_smile:

*Originally posted by mdipi.com *
**omgosh! you look just like one of my m8’s girls in your footer! lol. **
Is that a good thing or not? :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback guys… I’ll post some design ideas later once I get access to FTP. :slight_smile:

i was just thinking… you could have a collage thing on the back, but just design it so that there is a pale thing on top or whatever so that there’s a bit of room that someone could write stuff on… even if it’s printed, if it’s pale enough, with a relatively empty spot somewhere, people won’t have trouble writing something. Sounds good to me :slight_smile:

i like the header and your use of colours on ur site!
u should keep that same colour scheme :slight_smile:

I’d like to, certainly. It’s whether a printer can do that level of complexity without breaking my bank account. :slight_smile: So far I’ve been quoted £75 for 250 double sided cards.

Just had an idea. Hmmm… Illustrator time. :beam:

I really like the new layout idea kit. looks great - will it all be in flash?
the logo is ok - but I’m having trouble seeing how it relates.

have you got a sample business card yet?

The logo is very abstract, I have to admit. :slight_smile:

It’s basically the name of the site. I thought about doing some kind of digitised angel wings, but that came out (not to put too fine a point on it) crap. :slight_smile: Sooooo…

I abstracted it. Hugely. :slight_smile: The triangle is like a wing shape. The oval is a halo shape. Then I stuck 'em together. :stuck_out_tongue:

Probably not the most professional way to go about logo creation, but no I’ve got it I kinda like it now. :slight_smile:

Anyway, yeah, the site will be in Flash. I’m just stuck a bit as to the best way to put it all together…

Right, here is a very rough idea…

Cello, you metioned this…

1. Stick to two colours - but remember you got all the tints as well which gives you approx 30 colours for the price of two

How do you create tints in a programe like illustrator? Do you just reduce the saturation of a colour or something?

Thx

Good point. :slight_smile:

Cello, you seem to know bucketloads about this kind of thing. :slight_smile: I don’t have Quark or PageMaker, I’m limited to Illustrator I’m afraid, but I’m hoping that’ll do the trick.

What do you reckon, and where am I (no doubt) going wrong? :slight_smile:

Kit - your cards are very effective (and look really good too :stuck_out_tongue: ) and I like the logo (that asphaltbullboy, what does he know :wink: )

Illustrator is great for print so it will definitely do the trick - you don’t need to have Quark.

If you want you can send me the .ai and I’ll have a look at it for you - but it all looks as though you’ve got it all under control :slight_smile: You don’t need my help at all!

Beanboy and Kit - re point 4.
(In v9.0) from the menu go to Window>Swatch Libraries and select Pantone Uncoated (probably the most widely used) and a new swatch palette will be displayed with the full range of colours. Select any of the colours and your color box will slightly change. You will see there is a %box. Using intervals of ten (this gives printers a reasonable variance to hit the target!), 10%, 20% and so on.

Remember that black does not count as a colour, so if you have two pantone colours (2x10 tints = 20) plus 9 tints of black (white is a different ink) = 29 colours :beam: You can get white by reversing out against a colour block if the paper is white.

Hope this makes sense :slight_smile: Get in touch if you have any more questions.

Thanks. :slight_smile: It’s my first attempt at a business car thingumajig, so I’m groping blindingly in the dark, shall we say… :slight_smile:

Rather than clog up your Inbox, I’ll upload the .ai files to my site tonight and give you the link so you can check them. I’ll be the first to admit that I know f*** all squared about designing for print, all the Pantone colours (I keep thinking of Pantene shampoo, sorry) and that, so I doubt I’ve used what I ought to… :sure:

*Originally posted by Cello *
Kit - your cards are very effective (and look really good too :stuck_out_tongue: ) and I like the logo (that asphaltbullboy, what does he know :wink: )
how about I kick yo arse? :wink: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey kit your logo reminds me of a Mazda rotary engine, lol

http://www.mazda.com.au/articleZone1_rx8.asp?articleZoneID=2211

What did I do asph, dear chum? :beam: :wink: