Compusa Laptops suck

OK, so maybe some one can help me with this little problem Im having. Im trying to track down the original maker of a laptop my wife bought from Compusa. It has the Compusa logos all over it but there arent any other indications that its made by a bigger company such as toshiba dell compaq. It was purchased after 2000 but the hardrive for some reason dates back to 1999. I know they made a notebook (Compusa) call Amerinote book but I cant find it anywhere on the internet for serial refrences.
The dvd rom drive isnt working so I need to replace it, but its a be-otch to get out. After attemping to remove it myself I tryed to search for a selfhelp tutorial on the net, but failed. Im on the verge of burning the darn thing. Can some one help me out with either finding a tutorial or selfhelp forum to remove the drive or point me in the right direction on how to figure out who made the laptop or even the dvd rom drive.

Oh and also I did go into the local Compusa tech center and asked about the laptop maker or even if they knew anything more then I did, and they didnt. Morons… they told me to go ask the laptop department if they had one in stock. I just walked away.
So if anyone could help I will preform any type of favor they want. Any… And I mean Any…:~?

I think back in the day (4 or 5 years ago), Acer supplied laptops for other companies that resold those laptops using their own name. CompUSA could have used them :slight_smile:

About the DVD drive, I am not sure what to do.

Try running it through some sort of online system profiler… maybe the motherboard manufacturer or something will be tied to the computer maker.

Can some one help me out with either finding a tutorial or selfhelp forum to remove the drive or point me in the right direction on how to figure out who made the laptop or even the dvd rom drive.

I had to replace the hdd in my laptop a few months ago…the hardest part was getting the case opened! Once you figure out the “secret” of opening a laptop up, it’s actually quite easy. Note: this was to replace my hdd…surely you’ll be able to figure things out once you get the case open.

So my laptop has all these screws on the bottom of it. I take them out, for some reason thinking that the case would actually open up…wrong! There aren’t any other visible screws except a couple hidden under the hinges of the screen (and there’s no way to get to them without ripping the screen off). So I hit google and after a few hours searching (hey, even google isn’t perfect) I stumble upon a website made by a dude that was frustrated like me.

The secret was…drum roll please…I had to stick a flat blade screw driver into the crevis between the front panel (you know, the panel where your on/off button is) and literally pry the front panel off. Once that was off, I took out the keyboard and was easily able to replace my hdd. I assume you’ll be able to replace your dvd drive similarly.

http://www.cif.rochester.edu/~greg/hardware/hp_pavilion_n5430_disassembly.html

Hope this helps somewhat :slight_smile:

-teet

This won’t help but it might make you feel better (or worse…)

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=compusa_sucks

Thanks so much for the link. I looked over it and the description of how to open the case is helpful but I think the set up is way diffrent then an HP. Ill fiddel around with my laptop a bit more then get back to ya. I think there is a screw some where holding it in. Little did I know this when I yanked on the drive and ripped out some copper looking strip attachted to the dvd chassy. Oh well it doesnt work anyways.
Ill get back to you later on the rest of it.