Cooking With Rev

In Search Of The World’s Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

While at the Academy, one of the classes I had to take was essentially about the science of baking. One of the projects during the course was to take a recipe and dissect it, replace fats with substitutes, sugar with substitutes, etc., and see what happens. It was meant as a scientific experiment, you were expected to present your findings before the entire class of 40 or so other Chef Wannabees. I decided to make it my mission to find the world’s best chocolate cookies…. Ever!

I found out that if you use all margarine, you get a cakier crispier cookie. If you use all butter, you will get a flatter, chewier cookie. I actually like to use ½ and ½.

2 sticks of room temperature butter/combo/combo
⅔ Cup Granulated Sugar
⅔ Cup Brown Sugar – I prefer dark brown sugar

mix until butter and sugar is fully mixed, and no difference in texture can be found.

Add 1teaspoon Vanilla - try to use only pure vanilla extract, not flavoring
1teaspoon Salt
1 Egg

Mix until thoroughly combined; push off to one side of bowl.

In the now empty portion of the bowl, add 2 Cups Flour – (for a fluffier, stiffer cookie, increase to 2 ¼ Cups) plus 1-teaspoon baking soda, and mix the 2 together with your fingers.

Combine both sides until no white from the flour is visible. Be careful not to over mix, the cookies will become tough if mixed too much.

Add 12 ounces chocolate chips, with ½ cup nuts, if desired, and mix in.

Spoon onto greased cookie sheet, and bake at 375° for 9-12 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Unbaked cookie dough can be refrigerated and baked anytime within the next 2 weeks (yeah right, like it would ever last that long).

And that, my friends, is the best chocolate chip recipe ever. Guaranteed. You know how I know? After all my testing, days of cooking cookies for hours, do you know what I found? It’s the same exact recipe on the back of Nestlé’s Toll House Chocolate Chips…

How about that, I did all my tests, and found out that I had just reinvented the wheel…

Is it still a rip if I came to my conclusions independently?

Rev