Courses / Ways to expand porfolio

Hey, I live in London,

I consider myself good at flash (and learning it) and I really want to make a portfolio site for myself… One problem is I don’t have enough content… the only works I can show are the few things I have done at school.

So the question is… how can I expand my portfolio? I do a lot of playing around with papervision and also augmented reality but I quickly come across the limitations of it and none of my project are completed. Do you recommend I find some courses or something or spend time experimenting? At the moment I have a long, free year ahead of me before I start uni next September 2010 to do computer science…

I have played with wordpress and stuff and have the basics of PHP but nothing serious. Should I learn it in depth? Should I learn something other than flash? I don’t know AJAX from my elbow…

The other problem is I have no proffesional training. Do I need it? Sometimes I come across problems that I think other people don’t have (like flex not compiling or something) and I wonder if I had training would this make me a better dev/designer. Also occasionally I see source code that people produce and can’t deciper it from ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs because of the way the classes are formatted etc…

Any feed back is welcome and rep me if your in a similar position I’d love to know about it… Thanks for reading and helping,
Dan :slight_smile: