Creating a Single-Page App in React using React Router

Thanks, I just need clone the code from github, that’s save my time.

Hi @kirupa ,

I really enjoy your articles on React. They’re extremely helpful and informative with learning React and gaining confidence with it.

I’m running into a bit of an issue with React Router, though. I’ve adapted this tutorial into a bit larger of an app to give it navigation, but it seems that if I use components with state in the routes, I run into this warning and my app stops functioning properly after navigating away from the component with state: “Can’t call setState on an unmounted component…”

I’m sure it’s something simple that I’m missing, but I’ve been fighting with this for a while now and my frustration is clouding my ability to spot details. Would you mind giving some advice on increasing the complexity of an app that uses React Router?

I have a project on Github that exhibits this behavior if you need to see it in action

You are running into a very common issue that everybody runs into. This blog post provides more details on what you can try: https://reactjs.org/blog/2015/12/16/ismounted-antipattern.html

Let me know if that helps :slight_smile:

Well, see here’s the thing about that. I’ve run into a few articles that mention this issue, and it makes sense, but I don’t think I’m doing this exactly. I’m not using isMounted at all, and I’m not using Flux for this project. I’m simply calling setState in a function that’s called in componentDidMount and then in a handler that’s passed to a lower-level component (which itself never calls setState), which looks legal to my inexperienced eyes.

Here’s the project I’m working on that exhibits this issue. You’ll see the BrowserRouter used in src/App.js and it’s the handleSelect(id) function in the ADD2Characters class that raises the warning.

Could it have something to do with the onClick in ADD2CharacterTable? I just noticed that while looking it over again

I think I just managed something… I just made a commit to that repo that converts the ADD2CharacterTable component to a function component, and this appears to get around the issue. Would you agree with this solution, or is it just a hack made by someone who doesn’t know any better? :slight_smile:

1 Like

After looking through your code, I am not 100% sure why you had the original problem to begin with haha. With that said, avoiding any knowledge of state by going to a functional component is one way of avoiding this issue entirely. Since your app works fine now, I wouldn’t question it too much! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I agree, as long as it works. Oh well, no worries, haha

I really appreciate your taking a look, too

1 Like

Is the finished code for this tutorial hosted somewhere? Thanks!

have been solve

1 Like

Follow this

import React, {
  Component
} from 'react'
import {
  BrowserRouter as Router,
  Route,
  Link
} from 'react-router-dom';
import Home from './Home'
import Stuff from './Stuff’
import Contact from './Contact'

export default class Main extends Component {

render() {
    return (
      <Router>
        <div>
          <h1>Simple SPA</h1>
          <ul className="header">
            <li>
              <Link to="/">Home</Link>
            </li>
            <li><a href="/stuff">Stuff</a></li>
            <li><a href="/contact">Contact</a></li>
          </ul>
          <div className="content">
            <Route exact path="/" component={Home}/>
            <Route path="/stuff" component={Stuff}/>
            <Route path="/contact" component={Contact}/>
          </div>
        </div>
      </Router>
      )
  }
}

What is the problem here? :slight_smile:

Thank you for a very well written, detailed article. This post is a very good start to understand React router for SPA :slight_smile:

1 Like

I created build for this application, and then i kept that folder on httpd server. But it’s not working. Am I did any thing wrong here?

What error are you seeing? Are the paths to the JS and CSS still accurate in the HTML file?

index.js >>>
import React from ‘react’;
import ReactDOM from ‘react-dom’;
import Home from ‘./Home’;
ReactDOM.render(< Home />, document.getElementById(‘root’));

Home.js
import React, {Component} from ‘react’;
import {
Route,
NavLink,
HashRouter
} from “react-router-dom”;
import Login from ‘./Login’;
import SignUp from ‘./SignUp’;
class Home extends Component {
render (){
return (
< HashRouter>
< div>
< ul>
< li>< NavLink to="/ SignUp">SignUp</ NavLink>< /li>
< /ul>
< /div>
</ HashRouter>);
}
}
export default Home;

SignUp.js
import React, {Component} from ‘react’;
import SignUpCSS from ‘./SignUpCSS.css’

class SignUp extends Component {
render(){ return (

Please fill in this form to create an account.

<label for="email"><b>Email</b></label>
<input type="text" placeholder="Enter Email" name="email" required/>

<label for="psw"><b>Password</b></label>
<input type="password" placeholder="Enter Password" name="psw" required/>

<label for="psw-repeat"><b>Repeat Password</b></label>
<input type="password" placeholder="Repeat Password" name="psw-repeat" required></input>

<label>
  <input type="checkbox" checked="checked" name="remember" style="margin-bottom:15px"> Remember me </input>
</label>

<p>By creating an account you agree to our <a href="#" style="color:dodgerblue">Terms & Privacy</a>.</p>

<div class="clearfix">
  <button type="button" class="cancelbtn">Cancel</button>
  <button type="submit" class="signupbtn">Sign Up</button>
</div>
</div>
</form>
</div>);

}}
export default SignUp;

Please find the above three page
I am not able to redirect SignUp even not getting any error whats I am missing here

Can you please make the same single page application using next js router , please I request or send me the code : mail : [email protected]

Hi,
I’m following this tutorial by writing it step by step and always get this yellow blank page with Error:
index.tsx:19 Uncaught Error: A is only ever to be used as the child of element, never rendered directly. Please wrap your in a .
what did i do wrong?blank page with error

Can you share the contents of index.tsx?

Hi,
Exactly the same mistake, I’ve already tried everything. I installed React Router DOM, then inserted files from your GitHub and still gives the same thing. Maybe something with the version? (my versions:
“react”: “^17.0.2”,
“react-home”: “^17.0.2”,
“react-router-home”: “^6.2.1”,)

it’s index.tsx
P. S. Studied by the book