Don't understand this menu

I have a flash menu that was made by someone else and it was done differently than I’ve seen menus done, it wasn’t done with individual mc buttons, but all in one tween.

the script in frame 1 reads as this:

btn1.btnName = “name1”
btn2.btnName = “name2”
btn3.btnName = “name3”
btn4.btnName = “name4”
btn5.btnName = “name5”
btn6.btnName = “name6”
btn7.btnName = “name7”
btn8.btnName = “name8”
btn9.btnName = “name9”

and only 1 mc and one tween.

If I double click btn1, I get 2 layers, layer 1 has the following script in frame 1 for the glow filter - which effects all the “buttons”::::

import flash.filters.GlowFilter;
import mx.transitions.Tween;
import mx.transitions.easing.*;

// Creates a variable with info about the Filter settings
var myGlowFilter = new GlowFilter (0xFFFFFF, 2, 15, 15, 6, 100, false, false);

this.onRollOver = function()
{

this.filters = [myGlowFilter];

this.gotoAndPlay(2)

}

this.onRollOut = function()
{
this.filters = null
this.gotoAndPlay(11)
}

this.onRelease = function()
{
//Action code
}

Layer 2 has a key frame and a stop action in frame one, a keyframe in frame 8, a keyframe and stop action in frame 10 and keyframes in 12 and 20 with motion tween between all.

That’s it…if I double click any further, I only enter the tween and the only one I can edit is the first “button”…I can edit attributes such as font, size, color, etc. and it applies to all of the “buttons”.

I only got this menu because it seemed very simple and that’s all I needed, however it’s proving to be more of a headache than anything. As a newbie to flash, I had to figure out how to get each “button” to link to the page I needed it to go to (which I did by going to scene 1 and clicking each “button” and adding a getURL script to each). That I got working fine, but my major problems are partially what I put in another post:::

I need to know how to get the rollover color to change (not the glow, but the text) and I’d like to make the button stay enlarged when the user clicks it and gets to their chosen page.

From what I’m reading all over the internet, you have to have each button as an mc and add some fancy-shmancy scripting to get that to happen.

Should I just look up a more advanced menu that has everything I need in it and tweek it the way I need it or maybe there’s just a much less complicated way of doing this menu in javascript (which I had originally done for my employer, but they wanted the menu to be more fancy than just javascript rollovers).

I need serious help and I’ve been to so many forums and I’m really not getting the beginner level help that I need. I mostly get people telling me what kind of script to use or writing something in code for me (that I don’t understand and have no idea where to put it) or people mostly pointing me toward basic flash tutorials.

While I appreciate all of the advice and direction to tutorial sites, I have to stress that I have 4 GIANT books on flash, have posted and researched on numerous forums, taken both written and video tutorials, yet NOTHING I am finding is HELPING me figure out what I need to learn. I cannot find exactly what I am looking for which is why I have taken the time to write out exactly everything that is wrong and exactly what I need so that hopefully someone will be kind enough to take a few minutes with me and help me figure out what hopefully is something simple.

I learn very quickly and appreciate anything anyone can help with, but please know that I need explicit advice, not a link to flashkit for their tutorials.

It’s driving me nuts that I can’t figure it out and I’m ready to quit flash altogether because of something so small.

Thanks a bunch!