Dynamic text formatting

hi im new here…1st of all,let me salute all flash experts here lol

i would like to know how will the actionscript code look like in flash when i want to format the external txt file (in the same way like html like - <b> </b> for BOLD lettres, etc) so tat the formatting will appear when the txt file is loaded dynamically into flash…as seen in http://projects.askthefool.com/v4/

i only manage to load plain text wif no formatting when using the actionscript as in kirupa flash mx tutorial

thanks alot and happy belated new year to all!

You have to set one of the properties for the Dynamic Text box, if I remember rightly. Make sure the text is set to HTML. Then you can use HTML tags to format your text file.

Kit,

Do you mean that the .txt file you are calling should be saved as an .html file?

waiiiit…

::looks at flash AFTER posting his ignorant last post::

I just may have gotten it…

Darnit…

nope. I went and clicked the “render text as html” option. Then i went into my text and tried to put a :

<a href= "http://www.danno.com">

and it just showed up that way EXACTLY in my dynamic box.

So then i figured, oh ok, it must be reading the .txt file as an html file, so i’ll go through and start putting the normal “html”, “body”, “/html” " stuff to it.

Did that and it displayed it… yes you guessed it, exactly like that. no html formatting. I hope i’m missing something!

:+)

WAHOO!!!

so i actually figured something out by myself!!!

(ok… so i got a lotta help from http://www.kirupaforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5932&highlight=format+dynamic+text )

=)

But anyways, I just changed my code in the frame to be:

loadText = new loadVars();
loadText.load("updates.txt");
scroller.html = true;
//creating the loadVarsText function
loadText.onLoad = function() {
		scroller.htmlText = this.updatesText;
};

and I kept my text file to look like a normal text file, I just added the “a href” and bold commands wherever i needed them!!!

A Wahoo!

:beam:

thanks guys i will try it out later C:-)

hey guys thanks a lot it works! lol

actually i am working on the official web site for the prom night of my faculty

i haf to repeat tat i am really grateful for ur help…u know , b4 this i had actually e mailed the the guy of askthefool.com in a very polite way asking for his help but he did not reply me:*(

i had actually e mailed the the guy of askthefool.com

He is a member of these forums. Sometimes people get too busy to respond to e-mails. I’m sure it was nothing personal, and I’m sure that he would have gotten to it eventually.

Hey, what’s the address of that site, so that I can keep checking it for the updates you do to it!

I’m glad that it helped, even though I just rambled! Actually, you got to see my ‘creative process’ in text form. ::laughing::

Ah well. Anyways, that’s good that everything got worked out, and it is workin for ya.

*Originally posted by Danno *
**Hey, what’s the address of that site, so that I can keep checking it for the updates you do to it!

I’m glad that it helped, even though I just rambled! Actually, you got to see my ‘creative process’ in text form. ::laughing::

Ah well. Anyways, that’s good that everything got worked out, and it is workin for ya. **

haha well i am stil working on it…tomorrow is the dateline for me as the director of the publication department…damn i hate datelines but its a good way to get things done LOL…too much games+tv recently

of coz , i will keep post the url here once its finalized if u wanna c it

Don’t know if you know this forum or not, but i sent you a private message reminding you to send me a link of the site when done. That way i won’t have to search for this thread. underneath the MAIN navigation you will see “user cp” “register” “calander” and some others. If you go to “user cp” (user control panel) you will see my private message.

Just keep me updated fellow flasher!