Finished the book. Now what?

I just finished up Learning React and my tldr review is that it was a fantastic journey and I was kind of sad to finish the book because I had fun reading it and completing the exercises over the last month. Other than re-reading the book, can anyone recommend what a React / Redux newbie like me should do now to cement the concepts that the book presented without getting in over my head?

1 Like

Glad you liked the book, @Drew_Fleming. If you don’t mind, would it be possible for you to write a short review for it on amazon? Word of mouth and reviews are the primary way the book is marketed :partying_face:

Regarding next steps, start with building sample apps. You can start with some simple ones and gradually start building more complex apps that will really test your React and JS knowledge. Do you have ideas for apps you’d like to build?

:slight_smile:

Other than reading the book, you should try to troubleshoot or help others who aren’t as far along the path as you are. You’ll learn more and they’ll learn more.

2 Likes

I wrote a review on Amazon. I hope that helps you out!
I was thinking about creating a blogging feature on my website using React. That would be simple enough to wrap my head around for a first project.

1 Like

Greetings - apologies for bringing this thread back to life after a month, but I wanted to give an update.
I started on several projects and gave them up before I decided to pick up a primer on ECMAScript 6. I reasoned that my JavaScript skills needed to be honed if I was going to be a good React developer. The book I picked up is great as far as information goes, but lacks follow along examples. To make up for this, I decided to read a chapter at night, and the next morning summarize what I had read by writing my own overview and snippets that accompany the reading.
I wrote a basic CMS in React that reads the summaries from json and renders the content into components. I am happy with the result (though I can think of a hundred changes I’d like to make) and it has been a great way for me to retain the React content I learned from the book while learning something new.

http://drewfleming.xyz:3000/

2 Likes

That is really cool to see, Drew! You’re doing the whole “learning thing” right by absorbing the information first and then summarizing it (and sharing it out) later as a way of cementing it in your brain :brain: