"Flash Block" Does anyone get it and what do they

I am having a major case of what i like to call “flash block”. Its like writers block. I open flash and sit there for twenty minutes agitated because I dont know what to do . I can operate flash fine and i am trying to learn as much actionscript as I can however sometimes its just so overwhelming and I dont know what to do. Like, I will look at someones actionscript and it has all this .math in it and I dont know how they did it…Its disturbing…anyone get that? and if so how do you get over it? If you are a flash master. what did you do to keep[ on with actionscript? Thanks
Kyle

i’m not a master at all. I get the same thing, not so much with the actionscript and such, my major problem is the design of the site. I can not lay out a site for the life of me. I do have a good idea now, and I’ll have to see how it goes. But I guess the best advice that i can give you is try tutorials. If you don’t know how to do any of them, give them a shot, and then once you do it, try to go through it again without looking at the tutorial, and see if you can reproduce a similar effect. I would have had a few new tutorials up, but someone deltree’ed my computer and i lost everything.:frowning: But Im going to fix it, and beat them within an inch of their life, so I win twice! :slight_smile: Good luck to you.

ps. For the Math. functions, it helps to know what each means, and some basic algebra, and trig equations. Study up! :slight_smile:

@#%$, i get flash block all the time too, especially with design. never with actionscript though…sometimes i’d just start with something simple as:

onClipEvent(load) {
ang = 0;
}
onClipEvent(enterFrame) {
_x = Math.sin(ang)*50+275;
_y = Math.cos(ang)*50+200;
//rotates movieclip in the middle with radius of 50
ang += 0.1;
}

ok, maybe not so simple to some, but then i’d keep modding that script and then i’ll end up with some random effect (sometimes literally random). if you didn’t notice, above is sorta little tutorial to get your ball rolling. check out what this does:

onClipEvent(load) {
x = random(50)+1;
y = random(50)+1;
ang = 0;
}
onClipEvent(enterFrame) {
_x = Math.sin(ang)*x+275;
_y = Math.cos(ang)*y+200;
ang++;
}

this is exactly how i started with actionscript. i took a simple script then kept adding on and on to it. when i did this, i tried to use functions in flash i haven’t seen before. the help reference is really good. you should read a bit on it. the Math functions you shouldn’t really worry about.

I’ll bet I get it more than most. Usually I opt to read a book, non flash, when that happens, but sometimes I just crack a flash book and do stuff straight out of there