Good places to pick up some freelance dev work?

Hello Kirupians,

It’s sure nice to see some of my old friends still around, and TheCanadian too.

I’ve been fairly out of the loop as far as finding freelance work goes. Either been employed, bumming around, or doing other stuff. It appears all the good boards i used to use to find occasional contract work have since died in some way or another.

Barring the evil pay-to-use sites, the nefarious take-cream-off-the-top sites, and good old craigslist; What’s good? I really used to favor the boards where someone posted a wanted ad, i opened with a nice cover letter and a portfolio link, and they decided to hire me or not. Open to other stuff too.

Anyone wanna help me get back on the horse?

http://s16.postimg.org/6w80jpcs5/will_robertson_will_code_html_for_food.jpg

I can’t help too much, but what’s so bad about the “take a bit of the top” sites? I had an internship at oDesk (now Upwork) headquarters a few years back, and I never really got the impression that anything nefarious was going on. I’ve even been paid through them for random freelance stuff by people I know well who could have just as easily sent me cash on PayPal or what not.

I could probably list a lot of reasons but it would just sound like me whining. Bottom line is they take money off of the top for IMO little in exchange. I will probably end up there sooner than later if i can’t find any active job boards. As far as ‘nefarious’ goes i was just making a play at them skimming money off the top being criminal, which of course it’s not because everything is all in their TOS.

edit: Also nice to see you alive and well krilnon