Has anyone messed around with forms in 2k4Pro?

I’m just wondering if anyone else has tried creating a form based flash app, and if there’s any good explanation as to why it takes 30-60 seconds to publish? I don’t think there’s any point at all to these ****ed things, and they’re SO frustrating to test… Back to multiple swfs I guess… hrm…

you mean screens?

I did a tutorial on them… thats about it so far.

One thing that always frustrates me about flash is that 90% of the stuff you do can be done so much easier in HTML w/any dynamic backend…

ie: why create a form in flash when you can do it right the first time in HTML/PHP/JSP/Coldfusion/ASP?

Haha yes. Screens. Sorry.

To answer your question as to why I would use flash instead of HTML/PHP/JSP/Coldfusion/ASP, it’s because I’m using Flash to create frontends for Java server applications running on a JRun sim, and don’t really care for using javascript in webpages because it’s so much easier to convince people to install a flash plugin than to keep javascript turned on (or to have to explain to every customer I have that the reason they can’t turn javascript off is that all of the “neat” stuff that can happen on their application can’t happen without it.)

Not only that, but there are quite a few benefits to running internet or intranet based applications within the security “sandbox” that the flash player creates for you.

Also, for interacting with a Java server, JRun and flash remoting are a very elegant solution to complex communication issues that I’ve experienced in the years and years of using JSP/ASP/Perl/PHP/etc…

AND… I hate writing cross browser compatibility code…

The list goes on.

As for using screens, I don’t need them really. I just would like to justify the extra $$ I spent on Pro, so I’ve experimented with screens.

Also, I think that Macromedia is positioning itself to fill the gap in the RAD market that was left when M$ changed VB to VB.Net and made things harder on the casual VB programmers. I don’t really particularly care for that style of coding, but for the people who need it, I definitely see Flash (or Royale) becoming the next “big thing” in rapid application development.

Hm… Sorry to ramble.

yeah i understand it for validation purposes (if they must be done on the client side)…

I feel your pain though… once you learn mx 2004 they’ll have 2005 out and everything will change again… I guess that is the pain of going with flash. They have taken software and added a programming language to it instead of building it around the programming language…

I just hope they don’t keep rebuilding the whole environment every time they upgrade the software…

-z

As for 90% of things being easier in HTML, I would say that we’re doing completely different things. hehe

Well, I’m looking forward to seeing where Royale goes. If Macromedia does it right, that’ll probably be my tool of choice for creating internet/intranet based applications.

you going to max 2003? … it should be interesting

Well, that’s the plan at least. I never really know where I’m going to be, but yeah… At the moment I’m planning on being there.