Help needed, adding a function to a movie clip

hi, i am new to flash so my question might be simple but for me its very important to get the answer quickly,
now here is what i am trying to do.
i want to add a flashing text to my scene( triggerred on an event) for that i want to make a movie clip in which i am displaying a text from frame 1 to 5 and looping back to 1 on frame 5 so it displays “1” all the time , then from frame 6 to 8 i am displayint the “1” character and than from 8 to 10 the frame display nothing so basically when frame 6 to 10 is running it gives a blinking effect.
now i want to write two funtions to call ( using gotoandplay)frame 1 and frame 6 so that i can controll when to flash that “1” charactor and when to display it .
i want to have multiple instances of this movie clip in my scene.
can any one help me with that telling me where to define /declare these function and how to call them .
thanks
Yahya

Well you don’t need to loop from 1 to 5 first off.

Create the movie clip with whatever text you want it to display normaly, without blinking in frame 1. Then from frame 2 to 4 have the text displayed, and from 5 to 7 have no text displayed.

create a new blank layer in this movie clip.

on frame 1 of the new layer, place a stop(); action.
on frame 7 place a gotoAndPlay(2); action

now for this example, I’m using an instance name of “myMovieClip” for this movie clip.

When you want it to be normal you call
myMovieClip.gotoAndStop(1);
when you want it to be blinking you call
myMovieClip.gotoAndPlay(2);