How do you add your content to interfaces that need regular updates?

Hey this may seem like a dumb question, but I am curious on how you add content to an interface you may have created in PS for example. I am wondering what approaches you take?

Here are a couple ways I do it but I find there are limitations.

1. create a interface add the text in PS, slice interface and build a table insert slices in DW (or have one generated for me when exporting slices) However, I don’t like adding text in PS because you have to edit the psd in order to update content. And there are limitations in adding “too much” content if it doesn’t fit where you’d like.

2. create a template, slice it leaving large enough sections of slices where the content will be placed. I then put the interface image in the section that needs content over top and send it to the background in html. Then just type over it in an html editor. However I find this method frustrating at times because if you add too much content it extends your cell beyond the height/ or width of the sliced bg image and throws your table out of whack.
    and in the end ruins your design. I also have run into problems with netscape using too many small slices too

3. Build an interface and just put next buttons to display the remaining text. However I find this looks sloppy and is a lot of extra work.

So there are a few approaches I take what do you do?

see ya

I strayed away from using slices, because of the problem with the expanding text, but i’ve since found a workaround.

The method i use, which may or may not work for netscape users, but works perfectly in I.E. is using IFRAMES. An iframe is kind of like a frame, but you get to specify height, width, and even x and y coordintate position. The iframe loads another html page into a smaller box, with or without scrollbars (you choose). For an example, click on the ‘WEBSITE’ button, below my post, and then choose HTML site. The site that loads contains an example of IFRAMES.

A search on this forum for ‘iframe’ will get you the code.

Hey thanx for the reply, yeah maybe that is a better idea. I am curious on how it will hold up in netscape. i think i am going to go do some reading on that and test some sites.

anyway thanx for the reply…

yeah, iframes or just regular frames would be the way to go, except i don’t know if they work in netscape or opera or any of those other browsers.

Iframes DO NOT work in other browsers like Netscape. Trust me, I had a run in with them a little while ago. I tell you - they are great and if your client doesnt mind people having to use IE to view their page than go for it - they can be a life saver.

The only other work around I could say is make your designs so they are “open ended” at the bottom so it’s easy to add space to the bottom. One example I have is a site I did http://www.countrymoments.ca - if you notice I left the bottom open so I could add as much as I needed to the bottom… take a look and see what I mean. It’s not always the answer, but if you are going to have a ton of text, it’s a great idea.

You could also do it like this: http://atomic-bombermen.de/

SureShot thanx for the reply… yeah that is something to consider. However I was kinda thinking more along the lines of a “closed” interface… It just sucks you can make some pretty cool stuff and the content can kill the design somethimes…ahh maybe it is just my inexperience ;)…

c!rYx (had to copy and paste your name:)) That is an interesting effect, is there just a bg image that tiles in the cell for that one??? hmmm…

closed interfaces are great but if it’s like a corporate site, then it’s probably a good idea to have an open ended site, like sureshot said.

i work for the company below. for the first pages in the site (the flash pages) we made them closed interface but then when you go into like research and article sections, it’s open ended. basically i’m saying that you can combine both methods to reach some kind of consensus on what you want to do.

check it out:

http://www.sramarketing.com