I need a non-bias option! MYSQL OR SQL?

yep, I just had to point that out, not sure why :wink:

Well i keep with my statement. mSql suc*s big timeā€¦ got serious issues. I am not a fan off ms anyway butā€¦ ā€¦

ill rather do mysql even for a site like that. if not that and you can afford it ( its not that to difficult to handle it.) go with oracleā€¦

Yeah thats what i found out. I know lots of people love MYSQL but really for businese prupose MS SQL really is the best way to go. Like you send its good how ether it goes in or not, if it wasn;t like this it would cause lots of problems.

I was looking at orcale BUT its very very hard to find people who use it and they usually charge more. I think MS SQL is better. BTW whats so good about orcale

Thereā€™s a saying in the business world (OK, in obscure corners of the IT world) that goes something like:

ā€˜A good DBA is second only to a good accountantā€™

Good database admins cost a lot of money, and thatā€™s true for MSSQL, Postgres, and Oracle. Knowing how to optimize a DB is classic theory (you can take courses on it at any 4 year college, and I have), but applying that theory to the real world is challenging - you have to be able to watch a live DB, modify the structure, push the changes back to the developers, tune their queries, tune the system (occasionally rewrite parts of the system - a lot of the work on FreeBSD lately has been pushed back by Yahoo as they find limitations of the threading implementation).

Oracle is fast. Itā€™s very fast. It also supports some advanced concepts (transactions, rollback, etc), which until recently, some of the free databases lacked (specifically MySQL). It also runs on Unix platforms, which MS SQL intentionally lacks. If you were building a very large system that had to be up 99.999% of the time, you donā€™t plan a base on Microsoft, unless you want to pay out the nose for some clustering server package. You can go with Oracle on Unix (Solaris, Tru64, HP-UX, AIX, Linux, FreeBSD), for a fraction of the cost and have a really good chance of hitting the uptime numbers you need.

ahh i c.

What would oracle use as its scripting language?

BTW, a web development company wants to use MS SQL databases with MSDN. Is MSDN good?

I donā€™t believe msdn is a language, as far as I know itā€™s just a group of people on microsoft. msdn.microsoft.com is their site, and it just has all sorts of code documentation and stuff. I believe it only deals with asp.net for server side stuff, no jsp or php or anything.

Oracle can be used with about any language you want.

Structured Query Language. Databases use SQL. It is pretty much the same between databases but there are slight variations in SQL between databases. So if you know SQL you can handle Oracle, MS SQL and mySQL.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp
http://www.sql.org/

ahh ok.

Well thanks everybody for the tonnes of responces. really did help alot!

THANKS!