iMac G5

The downside is its a Mac :beam:

Ever Notice That “Macs” = “Scam” backwards :beam:

I knew it was only a matter of time until someone would come up with the idea of putting the whole computer inside the monitor. cheers apple. and i think it looks sexy.

The numbers are so low compared with today’s standards. So what’s the big hype?
[list]
[]1.6 GHz processor
[
]256 MB RAM
[*]64 MB Video Card
[/list]

You can’t compare GHZ in mac to GHZ in windows. They’re two completely different systems. The G5s can compete with any PC out there. The reason for this is that 1) it is 64 bit, and OSX has support for 64 bit computing, and 2) The operating system runs differently and utilizes the processor in a different (more efficient) way.

excalty.
I’ve seem some photoshop, 3d rendering, and video rendering tests done and the 2.0 g5 beat a 3.2GHZ p4- so you cant compare 64bit cpu’s with 32bit cpus

Can you explain what 32 bit and 64 bit means?

You can get Apple Power Macs with:
Dual 2.5GHz PowerPC G5
1.25GHz frontside bus/processor
512K L2 cache/processor
8GB DDR400 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9600 XT
128MB DDR video memory

The FSB’s on Macs are 450mhz faster than Intel’s stuff.

Plus they have dual 2.5 Ghz 64-Bit processors.

NeoDreamer its 64-bit G5 Processer, not graphic card.

That and mac speeds are benchmarked differently, so while it looks like smaller numbers, they are in reality a LOT faster than an intel or AMD chip.

How would this computer’s numbers translate to Intel numbers? I’m only familiar with Intel numbers. Like I know 3.6 GHz is really fast. But I know nothing about Apple numbers.

Well, Apple numbers are different. For example:

Example 1: You’re working on a project. With your PC. Doh! It crashed! You hadn’t saved your files in the past hour! Darn! All lost :frowning: You’re now gonna spend 30 minutes redoing the things you lost, and you’ll also have to spend the rest of the day trying to find the error that cause your PC to crash. If you’re unlycky or don’t know anything about tracking errors, you’d have to pay a technician to do it for you.
Summary:
Additional hours: at least one.
Additional cost: 0 to a couple of hundred dollars.

Example 2: You’re working on your mac. Wow! Everything is working so nice that you can take those 30 + XX minutes you would have used to finding that error on your PC, and go take a cappuchino with friends the same day. And you can afford that extra cream on top, since you didn’t hire a tech.

:stuck_out_tongue: