Images within Flash site are getting resized to poor quality - advice needed

Hi :slight_smile:

I have a new Flash website. In it are about 20 thumbnails that, when clicked, open up into large ~750x600 images. The images contain some text on them. In Flash itself, the images open up properly and look great. But when the site is placed on the web (and the html code below is used), the images are resized to smaller, poorer quality and the text (on the images) is practically unreadable. I have tried the images as jpegs and pngs - both look crappy on the web.

I use the following html code to make the site fit peoples’ various browser window sizes. This is what is causing my problem, because when I don’t use this html code the images look fine. But, I NEED to use this code in order for the site to fit various browser windows.

<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"
WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%" id="index.swf">
<PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="index.swf">
<PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high>
<PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFFFFF>
<EMBED src="index.swf" quality=high bgcolor=#FFFFFF WIDTH="100%" HEIGHT="100%"
NAME="index.swf" ALIGN="" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
</EMBED>
</OBJECT> 

The Flash code that I am using to open and close the pics from thumbnails is this:

on (release) {
   openUp = _root.attachMovie("pic1", "pic1", 2);
   openUp._x = Stage.width / 2 - (openUp._width/2);
   openUp._y = Stage.height / 2 - (openUp._height/2);
   openUp.onRelease = function() {
      removeMovieClip(this);
   };
} 

So how can I make my site fit the browser window WITHOUT ruining my images in the process? How can I 1) keep the image sizes constant, or 2) let the images resize along with the rest of the site, but keep them in good quality?

Thanks for your advice! :slight_smile:

best answer: don’t resize the images. Use Stage.scaleMode = “noScale”; and Stage.align = “TL” to make sure the stage of your SWF fills 100% of the browser window, but nothing inside is scaled wrongly.

Then, it’s up to you to write code that will re-size each individual element of your design and place it where it needs to be. usually this is in an object that’s listening to the Stage with an onResize method.