KIRUPA is faster and lighter than ever!

That is the next big thing to tackle. Right now you can’t! :stuck_out_tongue:

Regarding the 404 link, yes - it totally needs to be different. The last time that file was touched was sometime in 2004. I kinda deliberately dragged my feet on fixing that one for nostalgic reasons. I think this 404 page needs to be updated but still pay respect to the old pixel-themed look somehow. Or maybe not.

2 Likes

Also, does this mean the site is now over 10x faster than what we started with??

I forget what the initial times were, but that sounds reasonable. I would guess we were somewhere in the 2 second range back then.

I was going by the red Load times seen at the bottom of the pictures posted throughout the thread.

1 Like

I totally missed that! You are right. The site now does load 10X faster, for my internet connection hasn’t changed from the time the first post was made.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Dropping by from a long time ago!

The forums now have a shared header with the main site. I replaced the right side from the main site with the forums-specific search/menu/profile item instead.

:smile:

1 Like

It’s going to take me a while to get used to clicking on “forum” and not the kirupa title to go back to the main forum listing :trout:

Same here! I have yet to successfully remember haha.

One more update. This time, the overall page weight is down to under 70KB, thanks to optimizing a few PNGs and using lighter-weight SVGs.

Next up on my list of things to address are making navigation between tutorials and their associated Learn section (where they can browse other related tutorials) easier. Also, I think I will remove the “Newsletter sign-up” UI from the right and replace it with a running feed of new Forum Topics.

Soon, kirupa.com will be giving you bandwidth!

2 Likes

K-man faster & lighter – I thought this was about you being in contention for the Ironman Triathlon or something. Instead I can get rid of the cable internet and proceed to dialup soon.

1 Like

Haha! I am as far from being in contention for the Ironman Triathlon as it gets right now. I do go to the gym regularly, but I also enjoy tasty food - which kind of negates the gymming! :weight_lifting_man:

1 Like

As kirupa.com shrinks, kirupa.irl expands

2 Likes

Ha, ha me too. I rep out a lot of fork and spoon curls, but I do high reps so I don’t add bulk.
:fork_and_knife::spoon::sweat_smile:

1 Like

Any chance you can make the header position: sticky on the forums?

I totally missed this, kril! I’ll see what I can do, but it might be a bit tricky since a part of the UI (top-right corner) is created by discourse and I trick our header into thinking it is a part of the discourse header.

Native lazy loading of images is all the rage these days. I had no interest in writing custom code to implement it, but Chrome is now planning to support it by default. I decided to give a spin on how much that would benefit a typical article on the site.

This is the size of the Hanging Indents article without lazy loading:

This is the size of the same article with lazy loading enabled:

The changes seem very minor, so I wonder if I am making a mistake in setting it up.

EDIT: From further testing, it does seem to work as expected. I think in this case, the article doesn’t have enough images where the optimization would show major benefits. It’s not like this demo where the change between lazy and non-lazy loading is extremely obvious: https://mathiasbynens.be/demo/img-loading-lazy

I think thats what you need to wrangle with: do I have enough images where this is more useful than it is annoying. I hate lazy loading, but for really graphically heavy content, I get it. I’m not sure anything here warrants it especially since larger topics are paged or broken up into different tutorials.

My only motivation is to avoid having the user download images if they don’t need it. Some of the screenshots I take nowadays are fairly large - partly because I am on a Retina screen, and partly because I am OK with keeping the image dimensions large for high-DPI screens. You mentioned in the past for me to use the picture element and provide low-dpi as well as high-dpi versions, but it is just something I’ve been dragging my feet on!