Learning ActionScipt 2

I have a very basic knowledge of ActionScript based on a couple of books that I have purchased and tutorial that catch my eye. I also have some knowledge of Visual Basic and C++

My questions are:

Do I need to worry about ActionScript 2, do I for example, need an ActionScript book that covers AS 2.

I read somewhere that AS 2 was merely a super set of ActionScript 1 and that the additionality was for high end stuff etc.

Will AS 1 eventually be phased out ?

Is it better to learn AS 2

Thank you

As for books… I’ve never needed them…

lol… everybody will agree when it comes from u sen… :D:azn:

I think after you get a good grasp on any programming language, it’s not too difficult to expand your knowledge to other languages. I started with c/c++ console programming, then Javascript, now i know several. If you know javascript, you basically know AS. They’re both Object Oriented and ECMA (mostly).

so the main difference between AS1 AND AS2 is

…???

*Originally posted by senocular *
**AS 2 can just be seen as AS 1 with additional syntax for class definition). So yeah, AS 2 pretty much is a “super set” of AS 1 **

If you already know c++ its better to start off trying to learn AS2. It will probably be easier for you since AS2 is a lot more like c++ then AS1 is.

*Originally posted by Digigamer *
**If you already know c++ its better to start off trying to learn AS2. It will probably be easier for you since AS2 is a lot more like c++ then AS1 is. **

umm not really, there’s not that big of a difference between AS1 & 2 until you start forming classes. C++ is waaaayyy more strict. Yes, they are both OOP languages, but AS is based on dot notation. And if you’re not using a correct data type for a variable, C++ will let ya know :wink: