Logo Parody - Legal or Illegal?

I can already see the potential behind this thread to stir up a posting storm. Here is my issue:

I get A LOT of requests from skateboard/bmx clients to create logos that parody other logos, mostly beer companies. This is probably a pretty broad question, but, what are the legal issues surrounding that? For example, I have a client now that wants me to create a logo that says “Urban - King of Skate Shops”, which would parody the “Budweiser - King of Beers” logo.

We all know how good Photoshop can be in duplicating things in exacting detail, which is what the clients usually want. Are there any loopholes I can use?

[size=0](You could do it for them and let them worry about the legal responce…)[/size]

that was kind of my thinking… but theres a paradox.

theres no legal way to make them take legal responsibility for something illegal… is there? or do i just have to trust them?

Well you just made it for them, they told you what to do.

yea, maybe you should also explain to them that it goes off of bud and see what they say, then warn them about possible legal issues… and then like morse said, make it for them anyways if they don’t see what could happen.

:slight_smile:

make them sign a contract obsolving (not sure if that’s the right word) you of any legal responsibility and taking full responsibility to ensure that they are using the logo only for legal purposes etc.

make them sign a contract obsolving (not sure if that’s the right word) you of any legal responsibility and taking full responsibility to ensure that they are using the logo only for legal purposes etc.

Yeldarb is on the money. I get my clients to sign such contracts indemnifying me from legal suits and costs along with a description of what they wanted me to do for their project.

Hm, contracts. What a brilliant idea (not being sarcastic). For some reason, that just never occured to me. I guess I’ve been doing enough business lately that I should start getting more official. I never hand over full res work until I get paid, but thats been my only fail safe thus far. Thanks everyone, you’ve all been a big help.

One more stupid question that I need to know for sure. I could never put that stuff in my portfolio, correct? It would be nice if I could…

well, if you write that in to the contract, sure you could.

I would drop a big spill on you on how to circumvent this type of thing but being you are in the US I am going to give you the goods and you run with it. Your short answer is yes you can do it. But go here to find out about how trademark law works.
http://www.uspto.gov/

I have studied the hell out of this site and have registered a few trademarks myself so I know the answer is there Just dont feel like typing it.

I bought and use this book:

I modify it for my own use.

Other resource: Havebl;t really checked it out , but here’s a link.

One more thing. Try to get a down payment first so all your work is not in vain ( some instances they may not like it. but rare, use your instiincts, read the contracts and get an idea of it.

Good luck. :slight_smile:

After they start using your logo, they’ll receive a ‘cease and desist’ letter from whoever you copied the logo from. And if your customer doesn’t stop using the logo, they are going to go to court. And if the logo is too close to the original, they’re going to lose.

Big companies use a lot of money to make sure you know their logo. And they’re not going to let someone piggy-back on that work.

So don’t do it. Your customers are going to end up having paid for something that they can’t use. Most people don’t like that…

That’s the way I see it and how I understand that these things work. I’m not a lawyer, so I’m almost centainly wrong though… :slight_smile:

Thanks guys. You’ve all been a big help.

If it were me, I’d go over the possible rammifications of the design before handing them the contract as well as have the contract contain simmilar text. I wouldn’t refuse the work though, so long as the contract would absolve me of any responsability and they know full well of the possible consequences.