MAC's and Flash

Having worked on this flash presentation of mine on a PC, I wasn’t aware of the bad performance that a MAC gives when running a flash site. I brought in my stuff on a zip disk and ran it on a school PC and no problem, then I tried it on the MAC and it was very slow. What’s worse is that the MAC version had to be decrypted first which took even more time and brought up some concerns. After the decryption took place it appeared to me that another file was created that I had to run, so does this mean if I had the files burned onto a CD the file couldn’t be created, or would be created on the users hard disk? Is there any way to speed up the MAC version or is it simply that MAC’s just stink with flash?

Macs ‘stink’ with flash. especially os 9 and less. If developing for a mac audience, you have to take that into consideration.

when makin flash animations make sure you export them into hqx wich is the equivalent of a .exe on a pc or to make sure its viewable just export it in html for flash ver5 or even flash ver3 so it wont have problems

Grim

P.S. And its true macs do suck when it comes to flash and yes i have both platforms and i love my pc cant say the same for the mac though lol

Yeah I’ve been hearing that Mac’s just aren’t that good with flash more and more. The problem is I don’t know what type of system the end user will be using and aside from using applications, I don’t know much about Macs.

Grim, I did publish it to a .hqx file and when I ran it, it still had to go through the decryption process. So isn’t the .hqx more like .zip then .exe? Is there a way to skip the decryption process? Since I have a lot of room and only intend to display my site on a CD, I’m not worried about saving a few megs of space if it slows things down. I’ll try publishing to different versions of flash and see if there’s any improvement on Tuesday when I have a chance though.

.hqx is just an invisible projector extention. A flash-made projector is either saved out as an .exe (for winders) or “Projector” for mac, although technically it’s called “.hqx”.

I’ve had no problem publishing projectors for both platforms, and relying on the user to launch it as they would any application.
If your not talking about Projectors, but are simply referring to .swf, then that extension is used for both platforms.

I use Apple machines mainly, and have a Dell for the Windows side, and have never seen the decryption thing before… Playback is a little slower on Macs, but not that much (at least for my eyes).

MAC is only for DUMMIES…For no brainners only. I hope I am not offend anybody because I used to work with MAC.

I gave up with macs at collage, they all ran flash so slow!!!

A teacher told me that Flash MX was going to fix this bug , but i didnt see any performance difference. Luckly the teachers realised this and marked us fairly not based on perfomance on the macs.

flash even ran slow on the brand new Imac’s that were freshly installed in one of the computer rooms.

Cant beat the PC, winner in 3d and web design.

I guess I’ll just have to cross my fingers and hope my possible employer runs the CD on a PC then I:-) I posted this topic up at a couple other places and it seems most people agree that Macs just aren’t very good with Flash.

Any chance a pre-loader would help on a Mac? since it loads all the elements so slow even off a zip disk that it might be worthwhile considering.

from my experience it not the actual loading time, its the speed on the animation , it just runs the frame rate really slow, even if you speed it up, you get unjust results.

*Originally posted by dysan_max *
**MAC is only for DUMMIES…For no brainners only. I hope I am not offend anybody because I used to work with MAC. **

I think that comment itself could label you a dummie. Macs are just as good as PCs. It’s a matter of personal preference.

Take note on the following:

Most advertising work is done on Macs (ie. design)
Many, many Flash sites are done on Macs, probably equal in percentage to PCs.
The Mac interface (especially OS X) is easier to work with, and with Unix as the core for OS X, it’s more stable and controllable than another operating system.

If you get your Flash work to run fast on a Mac, it’ll fly on a PC. The problem with Flash running slow on the Mac is not Apple’s fault, it’s Macromedias.

I use both systems as well. Mac for my personal choice in machine, PC as my work platform because a larger audience utilizes PC.

yeah i agree on what you said, but i dont really agree in calling dysan_max a dummie , he even said

I hope I am not offend anybody because I used to work with MAC.

so i find it unfair to label him a dummie. He might of just be expressing that he found the system a little childish maybe.

But anyway yeah no doubt that mac osx is a killar OS the looks and feel to it is really nice, and macs do run really nice with design apps like , photoshop and illustrator ect…, we had some funny problems with quark, licence problems with the server (LAN network) in most the rooms, other than that and the macromedia problem the computers ran pretty much flawless, considering that there was probably about 10 to 15 other users a day on the same machine, running these programs constantly.

With all this said, Macs are good in there own right, but … i rather a PC anytime, i work with 3d alot of the time, and trying to use Maya PLE at collage, on a New imac with ONE button was almost impossible and felt really wrong.

jbradley, you DO realize Apples whole marketing campaign revolves around that very fact. Macs being EASY and USABLE for even the non-computer literate.

*Originally posted by Soulty *
so i find it unfair to label him a dummie. He might of just be expressing that he found the system a little childish maybe.

I didn’t call him a dummie. I said that his comment “could” make him be seen as one, since it wasn’t very well founded.

With all this said, Macs are good in there own right, but … i rather a PC anytime, i work with 3d alot of the time, and trying to use Maya PLE at collage, on a New imac with ONE button was almost impossible and felt really wrong.

I use Maya 4.5 on Dual G4 with OS X, an optical wheel mouse and other add-ons, and it flies compared to my dual 2 Ghz PC. The rendering times are significantly faster (the important part) and the real-time rendering is only really a bother if someone has a poor video card (I’m running a 3d labs board, which is very fast and not a common 3d board for the average user to have).

*Originally posted by senocular *
jbradley, you DO realize Apples whole mareting campaign revolves around that very fact. Macs being EASY and USABLE for even the non-computer literate.

Yes, I do. Consider that 80% of the 90% market of the PC users are people that this marketing blitz is targeted after. Apple has a valid point to follow that path.

With usability comes productivity. The easier it is to use something, the less it gets in your way and the less time you have to spend ‘fixing’ it or trying to work around common OS problems.

In my day-to-day job I’m stuck on a PC machine that has numerous issues, even though it’s running Win2000 Pro, based on the NT architecture, that’s supposed to be so solid (and it’s not). I can get twice as much done at home on my dualie with OS X than I can at work on my PC. But, I’m also very quick at doing my job, whether I’m on a PC or not … so the comparison may not be applicable to the ‘average joe.’

I don’t want to get into an OS war. No need. I use both and have to use both. If I need to do some character design, I’m stuck using the clunky interface of 3DS Max on my PC. If I have to do Flash MX application or motion design or web design (Photoshop), I can develop twice as fast on the Mac, but the Flash player runs slower. In every circumstance there are positives and negatives.

In my line of work, I find the positives using Mac far outweigh the negatives. Take it with a grain of salt. This may not be the case for someone else.

Im just curious of the “clunky” PC interface? Can you explain that more? My #1 complaint against macs are the interface. I have nothing against macs, I just dont like having to mess with their interface because I am (personally) slower with it. OSX improved on that with some added keyboard shortcuts, but it still donest compare to the PC, so Im just curious how you came to that… not that its wrong, its an obvious preference, just curious