Movie Clips controlling movie clips, problem

Hello.

I’ve been trying to make some drop down menus for awhile and I’ve run into a snag.

I have a button that when you roll over it, a movie clip appears [jumps to frame 2, frame 1 is blank.] This mc is the drop down menu. The drop down menu mc consists of other buttons that when you roll over them they stay green, but all other buttons go blue. [done by making certain mc jump to frame 2 and others jump to frame 1 to dissappear.]

So this all works fine.

My problem now comes when I try to attach on (release) functionality to the buttons inside the drop down mc. I have the following code on one of the buttons inside the 1st drop down menu:

[COLOR=sienna]// Drop down menu colour changes.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]on (rollOver) {
_parent.about.gotoAndStop(1);
_parent.what_about.gotoAndStop(1);
_parent.what_else_about.gotoAndStop(1);
_parent.where_about.gotoAndStop(2);
}[/COLOR]
[COLOR=SIENNA]// Trying to get wherewestarted movie clip to jump to frame 2 on release.
// Also making other movie clips jump to frame 2 to dissapper.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=BLUE]on (release) {
_parent.wherewestarted.gotoAndStop(2);
_parent.mainlogo.gotoAndStop(2);
_parent.address.gotoAndStop(2);
}[/COLOR]

So the on (rollOver) part workds great, and I’m quite pleased with the resluts… however when you click a button in the menu, nothing happens. No movie clips appear, or dissappear. I’ve tried it without using _parent, I’ve tried _root… I just don’t know what to do.

How can I get a rollover AND a release action?

Help!!

:slight_smile:

DryCow

Anyone have a clue as to what could be wrong? Half a clue?
Why would the on (rollOver) tell movie clip to goto and play work on a button, but the on (release) tell movie clip to goto and play not work on the same button??

make a “blank” Moveclip in your main area (give it an instance name of lets say “blank” without the quotes

open a new flash project and JUST make your page (the content without the nav)

save it and export it to a swf (for arguments sake lets say you made the “home” page… you named teh swf “home.swf”

go back to your main movie and on the button that is supposed to open the HOME material put
on (release) {_root.blank.loadMovie(“the URL of the home.swf file”);}
(note: i dont think its possible for you to open an SWF from a local drive… you need to put it on a production server somewhere) Also, you can add in after the URL a “,” and then the number of the layer that you want the movie to open in.

one more thing, this is what i was talking about earlier when i said i couldnt get it to work in a testing environment… so dont be discouraged right away if while debugging or doinga preview in browser doesnt work!)
check out the mess that ive been working on… still cant get that pesky news scroller to work right
www.silent-fate.com/Newsite/flashsite.html

the nav bar is actually a separatte movie from the rest of the main background as well… all the content pages (that have no content yet) are separately loaded SWF’s
:slight_smile: