Music

Hey everybody! I want to make a flash site, where people can listen to good quality music from various unknown bands. First I there will be many bands and i will have a page for each. On each page will be music from the band that people can listen to… Now first will this be too big a flash movie for people to download? I was also wondering with all that music…is there a way that I can have all the songs on my FTP server and when they click on a song it will download the song to IE windows media player to save space on the movie? Or should I have pop ups? One more question… I know HTML and am just starting Javascript. However I just want to get this site up…Any thoughts on WYSIWYG progs ? Whats best Dreamweaver, Frontpage :frowning: , GoLive? Thanks a lot

dreamweaver is a ***** if u dont know bout it as i found out but if u do go for it u can get all the flash elements off there so u dont have to make em urself but frontpage is prob the best i would say. also if ur gonna have all that music it’ll be ****in dodgy for ppl with slow connections to load it all wont it i think if u make the link to _self or somemt that might open it in the window but i aint the best flash expert i would just open the music in a new window coz people with aol etc have a built in media player to there isp so thee aint much point

good luck

-tom

dreamweaver is a ***** if u dont know bout it as i found out but if u do go for it u can get all the flash elements off there so u dont have to make em urself but frontpage is prob the best i would say. also if ur gonna have all that music it’ll be ****in dodgy for ppl with slow connections to load it all wont it i think if u make the link to _self or somemt that might open it in the window but i aint the best flash expert i would just open the music in a new window coz people with aol etc have a built in media player to there isp so thee aint much point

good luck

-tom

P.s wot music u havin on and when youve made it send me a link

i love golive myself…i dont know y (it’s ugly as hell) but i have always found it the best…also there is a new version comming out (goLive 6) next month…i should be even better. so i wouldent invest in goLive 5 right now

Yeah I actually hav Go live 6.l If you want…write me an email
[email protected]

I would create separate movies containing the songs, or sections of the songs. Have the full song be downloadable through the ftp section as normal, but create a flash interface which will load just the selection of music that the individual chooses at the momment.

loadMovie(); is a very powerful command in Flash

If you’d like to go this way, I can direct you to some posts which will be helpful.

As for WYSYWYG editors. I like dreamweaver… but I have a lot of experience with it. I agree that if you don’t know the program, it can be a real bear. I still think it’s the best thing out there for the money if you don’t know anything about html. If you do, then you can get Firstpage as a free download. It’s not WYSYWYG, but it offers everything that an HTML initiate could need for creating pages… and it’s free.

but how can i link from flash to my FTP…instead of getUrl is there a getFTP? or would I use like getUrl:“FTP://etc…”?

well upload it from ur ftp to a server i.e members.aol.com/membername
like that or geocities only prob with geo they have just stopped lettin u upload from ftp so u have to pay for it