Need help making basic interactive movie

I’m trying to make an interactive movie, but have very little knowledge of actionscript. I’d like to create it with actionscript 2, since it’s what I’m the most familiar with. Here’s a basic rundown of what I’m trying to acheive:

I want a movie that features a character walking from left to right, and is played by holding down the right arrow key. If you stop holding down the right arrow key, the character and the movie stop. I’ve managed to make this work by using this:

onClipEvent (enterFrame) {
if (Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)) {
play();
} else {
stop();
}
}

Now, I’d like it to have an extra bit of interactivity, when the character walks far enough to meet a character, I’d like the movie to stop, and have the play control switch to the spacebar, where you play the movie by tapping it. This is going to have the effect of attacking the character, where each time you press it, it plays the kicking portion, until the movie plays far enough to reach the character’s death. From there, it goes back to the initial code I posted, where the movie continues playing with the right arrow key.

This seems like a really simple thing to do, but it’s a bit beyond me. Basically, I want to switch the play button between the arrow key and the spacebar in order to play a movie. Any help that anyone may have would be much appreciated.