Need help with "create your own landscape"

I’m creating a movie where I have radio buttons that turn on images when clicked. Ultimately, I want to be able to turn on various groups of images that will build a landscape with objects like trees, lights, etc… Sort of a “build your own landscape”. I’m using MX and I’m not really sure where to start. I’ve got a bit of Flash experience but have not created anything really interactive yet. Any suggestions or pointers to existing tutorials would be great!

Try this:

Let´s say that you have tree categories of landscape (snow, day and night) and five elements to place (mountain, trees, stars, sun and river).

Create these elements separatedly and make them each one an individual MC. Name them in the instance name box (like: the mc tree will have the instance name of tree, and so on…).

Place the categories in the same layer, and the each element in his own layer.

Create an actions layer and place in the first frame an action like that:

_root.snow._visible = false;
_root.day._visible = false;
_root.night._visible = false;
_root.mountain._visible = false;
_root.trees._visible = false;
_root.stars._visible = false;
_root.sun._visible = false;
_root.river._visible = false;

create a radio buton with a name for each MC. and place in them that script:

on (press) {
_root.mcname._visible = true;
}

where mcname is the instance name of the mc that you want to be visible when you press that button.

Is that it?

OK. To test your instructions I did the following with one element:

1. create a layer and named it “tree”

2. create a movie clip with a tree in the “tree” layer

3. added button on its own layer

4. created an actions layer and added the following action in the actions layer:
    _root.tree._visible = false;

5. added the following action to the button layer:
    on (press) {
    _root.tree._visible = true;
    }

I test the movie and it does not produce the result I’m looking for. I must be missing something?

I’ve attached the Flash file if you want to look at it.

Thank you for your help!

You missed this part:

*Create these elements separatedly and make them each one an individual MC. Name them in the instance name box * (like: the mc tree will have the instance name of tree, and so on…).

Take a look in this .fla to see what I´m talking about.

what version of flash are you using?

Ah yes! I’m using Flash MX. But I was switching between 5.0 which has an “Instance” tool panel. Much easier to see instances with! The problem was that I did not convert the tree image to a symbol which makes it an “instance” and then name it as you explained. I’m just starting out and I really have learned a lot from this small exercise! Thank you for your help!!!

You´re welcome. That´s what this forum is all about, isn´t it?

If you need any more help just post here your question.

Concearning “Tools Panels”, I think that MX is highly superior. The instance name box is located in the botton of your screen, by the name of “Properties” just click on an instance and the content of that panel will switch to the properties of that instance, and in the far left of that panel will appeaR the instance name box.

Best regards.

could u tell me how to do the same thing with flash 5 please because i tried to do something like this without actonscript and it was next to impossible

Without Action Script it is impossible.

But the procedures listed above is the same for Flash5.