News flash in flash 5

Hi everybody,
i’m a web page designer i want to insert a news ticker in my site i’ve flash 5 at my office and am not able to do it…can anybody pls. help me out.
i also want it to run thru an external source… *.txt, or something like that.
pls pls help me.

regards,
deepa.

I’m not sure… but I think that colin moock has a tutorial on that somewhere… if not, I’ll bet that there is one on www.flashkit.com.

I’ve been interested in this myself though so eventually kirupa will have one as well. I have to work out some functions in the morning that related to this so if you can wait for a while I’ll see what I can come up with to help you.

thanks David,
i myself my trying out things…but somehow they r not working.
there aint any option until i get the things ready…but to wait!!!
so, if the thing is ready do let me know.

cheers,
deepa.

you ARE talking about a side scrolling single line of text right?

just making sure we’re on the same page.

Hey hey… my news ticker example is done.

You can find it at

http://www.centerspin.com/download/newsticker.zip

Please enjoy, and if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks David u’ve been of gr8 help.
this is what i was looking for.
if i’ve any doubts i’ll let u know.

Cheers!
Deepa. =)

Hi, Deepa
Here is another example of how to make a news ticker, its a different way to how David has done his as this is just a simple newsticker, but feel free to do with as you like

if you prefer I can show you how to make a news ticker using XML as input. All you have to do is put the news into the xml-file and the movie does the rest. You can add as many sentences as you want. although I think that is pretty much how David has done his i’ve took the liberty of downloading a copy of his version (cheers David) I haven’t yet taken a good look at it, but he is usually spot on with his approach still it might be handy for you to have more than one way of doing this:bandit:

I know it’s not made with Flash, but there’s a cute JavaScript tickertape on Churchill.com.

Shameless bit of promotion and plugging there.

Thanks Chris,
but i wanted the sentence to be extracted from an external source … the one on davids line.

anyways thanks. may be i can use it some other time.

cheers,
Deepa.

Actually an XML based one would be a little quicker to load once the file gets large enough, and would also be externaly driven. I had kind of thought about putting notes into the readme file that would let a person do the xml instead of the txt. I think for beginners it’s good to get used to loading up variables from a text file though… (no white space striping involved) hence the way I set it up. Both would be from external files though.

Thanks for all the comments. I really worked hard on that one. I plan on encorporating it into my site soon, but I love when other people can gain a bit from my work as well.

hey david,
sorry to bother u but theres a prob with the movie that u had given. the movie size i want is 771px. i’ve made the changes in movie properties and also in the action script. but the its taking lot of time for the initial text to scroll. i mean in the strating its taking time.

hope u r getting my point ,
i’m attaching the fla file,
hope u help me out.

ragards,
deepa.

Yes that text ticker will only work at the size I created it. It would have to have some pretty serious retooling to work at a larger size, and it might not even work really well at that size.

I’ll see what I can do though.

thanks david,
that will b really gr8,
is there any other alternative???

regards,
deepa.

I was thinking about one… but didn’t persue it yet, as I was working on other things… perhaps I’ll try that out in the morning sometime. I should have some free time, finaly, tomarrow. I have some fixes on my own site that I need to make.