Non-rectangular graphics

I am a little new to photoshop. How do I make graphic elements that are not rectangular? Let’s say I make some cool text, when I save it as a jpeg there is a white retangular background…can I get hid of it?

thanks

file>>new>> under the ‘contents’ section select transparent.

When you save the final version of the file, save it as a png or gif (something that supports transparentcy).
or if possible delete the background layer

*Originally posted by rysolag *
**How do I make graphic elements that are not rectangular? **
There are Circular selection tools in the photoshop tool bar, so you make a selection and (ctl-enter or Alt-enter to fill with you background or foreground colour).

or the other selection tools, such as the polygonal selection tool which allows you to plot out the point to make a section.

Or you could use the pen tool, (similar to a vector style application like illustrator) where you plot out your point to make shapes, this also allows you to creates curves and straight lines.

or the vector shape tool, where there are preset shapes that you can use and then with the white arrow tool (a) (or shift a, if the filled arrow tool is selection) then you can edit the curves or points to create your own shapes.

theres alot of ways to create objects in photoshop, trial and error is the best way to learn… :wink:

*Originally posted by rysolag *
**When you save the final version of the file, save it as a png or gif (something that supports transparentcy).
or if possible delete the background layer? **

what Norie said :wink:

the first answer was what I was looking for.

I have tried removing the backgroud but that did not work.

maybe because I saved it as a jpeg.