Photo Gallery - strange instancing

I have a photo gallery that works fine as a stand alone .swf but when it is integrated into a full flash site, it’s ‘photo’ instance conflicts with the main navigation instance called ‘unique name’. (at least that is what I think is the problem as the first image in the photo gallery appears in the upper left corner of the screen where the navigation instance sits.)

The site (all the content .swf) runs on top of an index .swf (named svengali.swf) that holds the logo and navigation elements.

So…I have uploaded the .flas. The web site is www.svengali-fx.com

The main navigation/index page is called /svengali.swf or .fla
The photo gallery is called /matte.swf or .fla

If someone could take a look at the problem and offer some wisdom I would appreciate it.

thanks

Hi,

Where do u load the photo? I say that because it looks to me u r loading it in _level1( a level anyway) and (of course) it loads its top-left corner in the top-left corner of the main movie.

Is this the case?

Cheers

SHO

The photos rest in a folder (called animation) on the site’s directory. The swf that contains the code for the photo gallery is called matte.swf. All of my .swfs run on top of the index animation (called svengali.swf) which hosts the navigation elements on the page (the lower nav bar and the Svengali logo).

I can see there is a conflict that the code is having trouble placing the image on the matte.swf. I placed a movie clip instance on the matte.swf that works perfectly as a stand alone .swf.

The index animation contains another instance called ‘unique name’ that is supposed to effect only the navigation.

I am not sure how to address the level issue that you raised although I am going to add another / to the code and see if that changes things…wow would that be great! All of my swfs only have one scene. I’ll get back to you in a bit on the level question.

OK.

I think we may have uncovered the ‘root’ of my problems =)

I believe I need to either call out a level or target to get to the photo instance on the page.

Here is the code on the page that needs help

loadMovie(this.pathToPics+this.pArray[0], “_matte.swf.photo”);

MovieClip.prototype.changePhoto = function(d) {

// make sure pIndex falls within pArray.length

this.pIndex = (this.pIndex+d)%this.pArray.length;

if (this.pIndex<0) {

this.pIndex += this.pArray.length;

}

this.onEnterFrame = fadeOut;

I am not calling out the level or target correctly on the loadMovie. I replaced the _root.photo with _matte.swf.photo (I also have tried _matte.photo and level1.photo) but the page only displays the outline for the images and does not run the gallery.

any thoughts or tips on my level call out?

Hmm, interesting problem. I am going to look into it a little but, but I am not guaranteeing I will find the problem. Reading code by sbeener is like reading gibberish to me :stuck_out_tongue: (damm geniuses)

Ok, the only way I can test this in Flash is if your _main.swf is present. I downloaded your _main.fla file and I got an error while trying to open it. So I can’t test what is happening.

I have put it up on my server.

it looks like the swfs are fighting for priority. I think the root level is winning and a good level or target call could fix the prob…but I’ve never done one.

Ok before I download it…did you try offsetting your movie clip where your images are supposed to load?

Like you draw a rectangle or something for your pictures to load into (as per the tutorial), well editing the registration point is supposed to work (doesn’t for me, but people say it does), but since it doesn’t work for me I just click and drag my movie clip to a new location and this changes the location the the movie loads in.

Maybe you can give it a try.

I am now getting something different. Instead of the photo gallery loading in the upper left corner of the index swf (svengali.swf) a page that looks like my photo gallery swf loads…but the box for the images appears and not the images. If I forward the gallery it fades to nothing.

I have no idea where this is going…don’t waste too much of your brain on this if it is going to be messy…I don’t have much left of my own.:smirk:

Yeah, I noticed that problem on your site when I went to check it.

That photo gallery tutorial causes a lot of problems for a lot of people. I am actually posting in another thread about this tutorial.

It is a great tutorial and all, but since it is kind of advanced in the AS area it causes a lot of problems for people like you and I that don’t know too much AS.

I’ll keep playing with the code. I’m not sure if I should try to load the swf as a target or a level, but I can only get more lost!:stuck_out_tongue:

I just looked at a Kirupa tute on loading movies to a target…and there is one that touches on levels. If I can modify the loadmovie command that the photo gallery is written with…maybe I’ll get lucky.

I’m definitely getting lost in beta:o